Hunting for a change

Saturday, the woods of Wisconsin echoed with gunfire and became spotted with blaze orange as the gun dear hunting season began. This Midwestern cultural staple needs to have some reform in order to ensure this already safe sport remains safer.

A Milwaukee Journal Sentinel analysis of hunting records discovered that 2006 hunting accident rates are the highest since 1999 for hunters ages 21 and younger. And, in the past five years, that same age group was twice as likely to be involved in a hunting accident, according to an article in the Leader-Telegram.

Overall, hunting in Wisconsin has never been safer. There have been many different measures put into place that protect those who wish to brave the outdoors and hunt for the trophy deer. Such measures include the creation of hunter safety education courses in the 1960s, requiring hunters to wear blaze orange during the gun deer hunts in the early 1980s and making hunter safety education courses required in 1985.

The requirement to have parents supervise 12- and 13-year-old hunters is far too young. This lapse in the system needs revision and should be increased to a point where the young hunter is able to handle, on his own, the responsibility that comes with using a firearm.

Parents also need to be more responsible themselves. They need to make sure their young hunter has respect for the powers of a gun in order to let him or her hunt alone or with friends.

Most likely, the accidents that do occur within the under-21 age group are on the older end of the range when they are hunting with others in their age group. Naturally, the youngest of hunters are most likely to be more intimidated and respectful, especially because they have to start out with a parent in the woods.

Raising the age hunters must be supervised by their parents is both reasonable and enforceable. It would also bring about respect and responsibility that could be carried throughout that hunter’s life, making all in the woods safer during hunting season.