Devoted fans help band prevail

Janie Boschma

At 11:53 p.m. on Oct. 9, I contemplated what was more important, going to sleep or waiting until my favorite band, Radiohead, would finally release their long-awaited new album on their Web site. I was waiting on an e-mail that was to be sent in the early hours of Oct. 10 with an access code and instructions on how to download the new album. Well, sleep got the best of me and I decided to wait until morning.

Immediately after waking up, I began downloading the album. I had never been so impressed by such a catchy, electronic drumbeat as I was with the album’s opener “15 Step.” I expected nothing less of Radiohead, as they have proven to be one of the most accomplished bands of today. They are known for their different approach to making music and their very unique style. Not only did they make my ears happy with their new album “In Rainbows,” they also made my wallet happy with the way they released that new album.

In a very bold effort of releasing their new material, Radiohead sold “In Rainbows,” their seventh studio album, exclusively on their Web site. However, the interesting part was not that it was self-released, it was that fans could pay as much or as little as they wanted for the album. After telling many of my friends about this, they thought it was a bad idea on the band’s part to leave it up to the fans on how much to pay for the album. Their reasoning was that people could pay one dollar and the band wouldn’t make any money. This is where my love for Radiohead comes in.

They know they don’t need the money; they are still making music for the pure joy of it and not to rip off their fans. While they are formally releasing “In Rainbows” in the beginning of 2008, they wanted to give all of their loyal fans a copy in advance. More bands should follow suit with this process because it is a great way to get your music out there before a formal release. Oasis has been rumored to be promoting their next album similarly to Radiohead’s release process. Bands that have already built up a huge fan base, such as Radiohead, need to give back to their fans since they already have enough money.

Part of the reason Radiohead self-released “In Rainbows” was because Capitol Records dropped the band after their sixth studio release in 2003, “Hail to the Thief.” While there are plans of signing to either ATO Records or XL Recordings this fall, the group will also be releasing a box set available on their Web site Dec. 3 for about $58. The most dedicated and richest Radiohead fans not only paid a decent amount for the digital download but also pre-ordered the box set.

This was a smart move on the band’s part. Any collector would want to get the box set loaded with the new CD, two 12-inch vinyl records, an enhanced CD, photographs, artwork and lyrics booklets.

Most fans appreciate what the band did, allowing them to pick their own price, and want to reciprocate the offer. One could argue that Radiohead is getting all their lost profit of the self-release back with the spendy box set, but they are still doing something so new and different in an age where stealing music has become a common practice.

The effects of the release and the influences it will have on other bands to do the same thing aren’t obvious, but Radiohead essentially slapped the music industry in the face. With many bands promoting their new albums incessantly, only to have a leaked version of the CD online, Radiohead kept this idea under wraps. Pre-releasing the record was their only means of promoting “In Rainbows.” They have proved that they don’t need a major record label to get their music out there, and it will be interesting to see the album sales when the formal release finally hits stores.

While my friends continue to criticize a band for not trying to make all the money they possibly can, I remind them how loyal Radiohead fans are. Even if someone paid 8 cents for the album, the majority of people are going to buy the formal release, if not the box set as well. This can be said for many relationships between bands and their fans, and I think it’s time other groups try doing the same thing.

Cegla is a freshman communications major and guest columnist for The Spectator.