Give marine animals a chance

Janie Boschma

In 2003, the National Resources Defense Council – a group of scientists and lawyers from around the country, successfully sued the U.S. Navy in order to prevent it from using a powerful, mid-level sonar used to detect diesel-electric submarines used by such countries as Russia, China, North Korea and Iran. The downside of using the sonar is that it harms and kills animals such as whales, dolphins and porpoises by emitting sound levels up to 235 decibels – equal to that of a Saturn V rocket at launch. The sonar is believed to force the animals into rapidly diving and surfacing in order to escape the sonic blast. This, it is believed, results in their suffering decompression illness similar to “the bends.” Dolphins and porpoises have been found dead, bleeding from their ears and brains.

Over the past several years there have been no less than six massive strandings and deaths attributable to the use of this equipment.

Now, thanks to the Bush administration, the Navy has begun using this technology in the world’s oceans. Since the NRDC won its lawsuit, the Bush administration has been working to exempt the Navy from The Marine Mammal Protection Act and other environmental legislation that would protect marine animals. Yes, apparently the president, who once said that “the human being and the fish can co-exist peacefully,” does not feel the same way about human beings and marine mammals.

This is, perhaps, the ultimate culmination of all that is wrong with the Bush presidency – an over emphasis on national security, a stripping down of environmental regulations and a stunning lack of intellectual curiosity. Would the president, who seems to be locked in an eternal struggle with the English language, be curious to know that bottle-nosed dolphins have not only been taught English and other artificial languages, but that they seem to understand syntax and word order? Would he be intrigued to know that killer whales communicate in distinct, recognizable dialects corresponding to the pods to which they belong? Would he stop to ponder the fact that not only does the sperm whale have a brain six to seven times as massive as our own, but that it also has a greater brain weight to brain stem weight than we do? From what we’ve seen from this administration so far, the answer is probably no.

Of course, it is not simply a matter of choosing between national defense and the well being of whales. The NRDC is not seeking to deny the Navy’s use of this “active” sonar. They would only like them to use it more conscientiously. For example, during times of peace, they want the Navy to make marine mammal-rich habitats off limits, in order to avoid migration routes, feeding and breeding areas. They also want the Navy to listen with passive sonar to see if there are any animals in the area before testing and to gradually raise the decibel level to give the animals a chance to flee.

Unfortunately, the Navy has yet to adopt these simple precautions. What’s more, by having virtually free access to the world’s oceans, there may be few safe places left for marine animals to go. Even at 300 miles, the decibel level from the sonar can still reach 140 decibels, which is equal to that of a shotgun blast. This is 100 times greater than the noise aversion threshold for gray whales.

I suppose regulation of this type of sonar could hamper the Navy’s ability to detect an enemy sub lurking off our shores, however, even if one does manage to slip by our defenses, the chances of it launching an attack on us are very, very slim because of our tremendous retaliation capabilities. It seems we are harming and killing some of the world’s most intelligent, friendly and beautiful creatures to prevent something that most likely will never happen anyway.

I realize national security is important, but aren’t we a great enough country to ensure our own safety while at the same time assuring the safety of other creatures who, like us, breath air, birth live young, communicate through a vocal language and who exhibit intelligent behavior? Well, they at least exhibit it anyway.

Johnson is a non-traditional student at the university and guest columnist for The Spectator.