Spectator editorial: Tragic footage

THE ISSUE: Major television news networks pulled the Virginia Tech killer’s video off the air because of a backlash.

In the wake of a person’s death, their last wishes should be carried out to honor their accomplishments in life. However, this is not always the case when it comes to infamous people.

According to an article by the Associated Press, major network news companies – including NBC, who received the original tape – pulled the video made by Virginia Tech killer Cho Seung-Hui after a backlash from their viewers.

The networks said they would exercise extreme caution and careful judgment in deciding when to show segments of the video and writings Cho sent to NBC, according to the article.

Pulling the plug after showing the video for more than 12 hours is nothing more than a futile effort to make up for releasing it as early as the networks did.

Cho’s video provides a good yet disturbing insight into the crazed mastermind of the worst school shooting in U.S. history. However, the package was sent to NBC as a clear sign that Cho wanted the network to air his message on a national scale. By doing this, NBC and other networks fulfilled his wishes by glorifying his infamy.

News stations have given a lot of attention to the killer as a person, but there are other stories that deserve an equal amount of coverage, such as the heroes and victims of the incident.

The video had to be run because of the public’s increasing demand and interest in the issue of who Cho was as a person, but the networks should have waited longer than they did to air it.

Additionally, each network should have responsibly chose what footage to show to the audience to minimize the public’s amount of negative feedback.

Getting a firsthand look into Cho’s sick motives is an interesting story, but it needs to be balanced with stories focusing on average students and professors that saved lives.