If by ‘heritage’ you mean ‘racism’…

Kathlyn Hotynski

There are many things that pop into my head when I think of the word “swastika” – hate, discrimination and genocide are at the top of the list. Peace and holiness are not even in the same ballpark.

While the swastika is commonly known in Eastern culture as a Buddhist and Hindu sacred symbol, Western cultures see the design in an opposing and ugly light. This is perhaps the biggest example of something that was once used in a positive way and has been changed to represent the darkest parts of humanity.

The swastika is to the majority of Europe what the Confederate flag is to the majority of the United States.

At one point in time, the Confederate flag might have reminded people of revolution, pride and standing up for one’s beliefs, but it grew into a symbol of hatred and racism perpetuated by the Klu Klux Klan and other bitter southerners.

People call the flag a representation of U.S. history, tradition and heritage. That may be true, but does anyone really want to say their heritage is steeped with lynchings and discrimination?

Typically, Americans try to cover up past racial mistakes and tragedies, including Japanese concentration camps in World War II, Christopher Columbus’ exploits and the setting up of Indian reservations. Maybe if a sign or symbol was used to represent the Trail of Tears, people would call it a part of their history, but that’s up for debate.

However, the Confederate flag and traditions like it are rapidly losing their fan bases across the country in schools and states alike.

A recent decision by students at a southern Georgia high school displays the problematic belief in racist tradition and heritage in the South and the newer generations’ realizations of the truth.

According to an article on CNN.com, students at Turner County High School voted to hold a school-sponsored prom for the first time. At first glance, that wouldn’t seem too strange or revolutionary, but one needs to look a little deeper into the students’ reasoning.

Up until this year, parents have traditionally organized segregated black and white proms, according to the article.

I’ll repeat that: A school in Georgia had separate proms for blacks and whites until this year.

Of course, to further the stereotypical southern reaction to equality, the all-white prom was still held and students in the article were quoted as saying some of their classmates’ parents did not want their children attending an integrated prom.

All of this is despite the overwhelming support of a united prom from the students at the school.

The majority of the attendees at the prom did not think about race as they danced and were happy to see a change, according to the article. That alone shows the ability of modern-day high school and college students to look past skin color and focus on personality despite the immorality of their parents.

Racism will always be subtly and blatantly apparent in the United States, from job hiring to shopping malls. But people can reduce its impact by following these students’ example and understanding there is no logical reason to hate someone because of their skin color.

South Carolina, not far from Georgia, serves as another example of the Confederate flag’s negativity image and soon-to-be demise.

University of South Carolina football coach Steve Spurrier called the flag “embarrassing” to the state’s reputation at a recent awards ceremony. This stemmed from the appearance of a waving rebel flag during ESPN’s College GameDay covering the South Carolina-Tennessee game last year. Ironically, blacks are in the majority on both teams.

Of all the states that previously had a waving Confederate flag atop their capitol buildings, South Carolina was the last to do it in 2000.

Because it was so recent, you’d expect the state’s government or even population to rise up in arms over Spurrier’s comments. However, only small groups of people voiced opposition to his statements, and even the government said the issue has been solved and will not be brought up again.

When arguing about signs and symbols, the presence of racism behind the sign will trump heritage. If something reminds a group of people of a time they were enslaved or slaughtered, it shouldn’t be celebrated by a country or state.

You should embrace and accept your past mistakes, but you shouldn’t glorify them and claim ignorance towards their impact.

Just as the Confederate flag stood for dissent and revolution almost 150 years ago, those waving it now are in the screaming minority slowly being silenced by the majority of the American public that sees the implied darkness behind its colors.

McCormick is a sophomore print journalism major and editorial editor of The Spectator. McCormick’s Musings appears every Thursday.