Vote early, vote often

Kathlyn Hotynski

I fully realize the all-too-common empty rhetoric and hollow redundancy that permeates today’s electoral politics. Twenty-four-hour news has fueled the never-ending campaign, electoral politics has become a massive economic and industrial complex and many have become disillusioned with the politics of our nation. Every year we are told that the looming election is undoubtedly the “most important election ever” while a culture of dichotomy fails to meet the needs of real people, including the marginalized.

Too many, maybe even yourself, are left hungry for hope. With a clear level of audacity, I ask you to vote on or before April 3 as we have been presented with the opportunity to elect a new justice to the Wisconsin State Supreme Court.

In the state of Wisconsin, we have been given a great electoral power and privilege. We elect each justice of our state Supreme Court to a 10-year term. This race will not garner the press attention common to other elections.

Trends say voter turnout in this race for an office that wields unparalleled power will be less than 20 percent. In Wisconsin, the seven justices of this single court have jurisdiction over our state’s judiciary as the state Supreme Court is both a court of appeals (under only the U.S. Supreme Court) and in some circumstances even has the authority to hear original cases.

These justices are charged with the responsibility to hold political and legal action in our state ultimately under the Constitution of our great nation. This is considerable power that will directly, and for those who do not vote, indirectly, be granted to one new justice. Consider the binding and inevitable decisions this court will make concerning issues of civil rights in the state of Wisconsin.

Over the next few weeks you will have the opportunity to participate in the granting of great power through this spring’s election. In an effort led by Fair Wisconsin at campuses across the state, we want to help make it easy and convenient for you to vote with respect to your very busy and real lives. Here is how this works.

Stop by one of our tables or find one of our volunteers. It will take under a minute to fill out a brief form. We will then send your ballot request to the appropriate municipal clerk – postage on us.

Beginning in mid-March you will receive a ballot in the mail in which you can vote at your convenience. Just drop your ballot in the mail and you’re done voting. To illustrate how easy this is, we’re calling our efforts here at UWEC the “Vote Naked” campaign. Though we don’t actually recommend it, theoretically this spring you could vote naked from the privacy of your bathroom, your dorm room or your apartment. It is important to note that Fair Wisconsin is not responsible for arrests due to indecent exposure.

Check us out on the web at

www.votenaked.blogspot.com or our Facebook group “Vote Naked in ’07”.

Please remember to vote naked responsibly.

Olson is a senior history major and a
columnist for The Spectator.