The best of Police Blotter

Adrian Northrup

‘I dare you’
Thursday, Nov. 9

At 2:20 p.m., a man told an officer parked in Schofield Circle that he had seen two men urinating by a tree near the clock on the Campus Mall.

The officer walked over to the area and found two men near the clock. He asked them for identification and told them what the man said he had seen. One of the men said he had urinated, but it was because the other man had dared him to.

Upon hearing this, the second man said that he had not dared the first man to urinate on the tree and that he himself had not done so.
The officer wrote the first man a citation for deposit of human waste.

It’s a miracle!
Tuesday, Oct. 17

At 7:30 a.m., an officer responded to a report from a Horan Hall front desk worker of a man who had apparently fallen from a lofted bed.

When the officer arrived, the man was standing at the front desk. The man’s skin was pale, and he appeared to be confused.
Upon sitting down with the man in the lobby, the officer asked him for his general information, but the man could not remember his name, address or what had happened to him.

The man said he had been deaf and blind, but now he wasn’t. He said he had a concussion once, but he didn’t remember when.
The officer spoke with the man’s roommate, who said he had heard the man jump out of his bed about five to 10 minutes before the officer arrived. The roommate said he thought the man had hit his head on the bed.

The roommate said the man had been slurring his words and was very confused when they went to the lobby to wait for rescue personnel, who transported the man to the hospital.

‘A little fast’
Thursday, Nov. 9

At 10:44 p.m., a University Police sergeant on patrol saw a vehicle turn onto State Street from Lexington Boulevard.

As the officer and the vehicle started to go down the State Street hill, the vehicle began going faster. The officer tried catching up to the vehicle, but gave up upon reaching about 50 mph in the 30 mph zone.

Slowing at the intersection of State Street and McKinley Avenue, the vehicle turned left, where the officer stopped the vehicle.

After the officer identified the driver of the vehicle by his Wisconsin driver’s license, the man immediately began apologizing for “driving a little fast back there.”

The officer asked the man why he was going so fast; the man said he was “just screwing around” on the way to a friend’s house.

Upon noticing a plastic bag full of unopened beer cans, the officer asked the man if the cans were his. The man said they were and that he was planning to drink at his friend’s house. Neither the driver nor his passenger appeared intoxicated.

The officer issued the driver citations for unreasonable/imprudent speed and underage alcohol possession.

Phantom friend
Saturday, Sept. 16

At 11:38 p.m., a University Police sergeant and an officer responded to a report of two women in a Putnam Hall bathroom, possibly in need of detox.

The sergeant, who arrived on the scene first, attended to the woman who appeared to be in the more severe condition. The woman resisted the attempts of rescue personnel, repeating “Forget my name,” but calmed down while going in and out of consciousness.

Upon his arrival, the officer located the second woman in an adjacent room. She had locked herself in a stall and refused to come out because, she said, she was naked and too sick.

The officer asked if she had clothes with her in the stall, and the woman said she did, but she was too sick to pull up her pants. She said she had drunk half a bottle of vodka but that she didn’t know how big the bottle was.

The woman said she had been drinking with the woman in the adjacent room and a male friend, who had drunk more than she had. The man was not a student but was the woman’s guest and was staying in her room.

After obtaining permission from the woman, the officer went to check the woman’s room to make sure the man was OK, but the officer could not locate him.

Rescue personnel transported both women to Sacred Heart Hospital, where the officer wrote them both citations for underage drinking, first offense, and gave them informational brochures.

Upon completing a search of the residence hall, officers and hall staff could not find the woman’s male friend

Rest in peace
Tuesday, Nov. 28

At 11:30 p.m., an officer on patrol near the 800 block of Putnam Drive found a raccoon on the road. It did not run or move out of the way of the car as the officer approached.

The officer walked up to the animal, which appeared to be either sick or injured. The animal tried several times to stand or crawl away, but could not do so. It was also only able to hold its head up for limited amounts of time.

After contacting the communications center, the officer, “using the wooded hillside as a backdrop, euthanized (the animal) with (his) service weapon.”

Um, I had an accident
Sunday, Aug. 27

At 12:55 a.m., an officer on patrol near McPhee Center saw a man lying on the ground near a football storage shed.

The officer asked the man, who identified himself with a Wisconsin driver’s license, if he was OK. The intoxicated man responded that he was and that he was just resting before walking home.

Upon noticing a wet mark on the man’s pants, the officer asked him if he had urinated. The man said that he had just spilled a drink on his lap.

Again, the man said he was too drunk to walk to his house and decided to rest and continue.

After asking the man if a taxi ride would help get him home, the officer stayed with the man, who used his cell phone to contact a taxi service.