Spectator Editorial: Fat Chance

Academia has long strived to raise awareness of the disenfranchised, offering women’s studies, ethnic studies and even sexual-identity studies. Universities across the United States, including UW-Milwaukee, are now offering courses exploring discrimination of the overweight – “fat studies.”

Creating a sociological fat studies discipline promotes an unhealthy lifestyle and detracts from the efforts of those who suffer discrimination over things they are powerless to change.

According to The New York Times, two-thirds of Americans are overweight, and it’s easy to see why. People who want to lose weight face an uphill struggle against sedentary jobs and fast-food restaurants on every corner – not to mention genetics. In the process, they deal with accusations of being lazy or lacking willpower, all while being bombarded with images of super-thin, beautiful people.

But the fact that excess weight is a widespread problem doesn’t make it something to be accepted. Overweight people suffer more illnesses, which puts a strain on the health care system and the people who pay for it. Type 2 diabetes, once thought of as an adult-onset condition, now affects children at an alarming rate. An academic program supporting obesity would send a message to children and adults alike that this isn’t a problem and that obese people are powerless to make healthier choices.

Health and kinesiology classes would be a better place to discuss the cultural and emotional impact of obesity. Well-being, after all, is more than a physical condition. Every effort should be made to improve care for the overweight, both physically and psychologically.

It’s true that overweight people suffer harsh judgment from society, but so do many others. Do we need to devote extensive study to discrimination against smokers or alcoholics? What about unattractive people? Injustice is part of human nature, and we need to take pains to stay aware of it. But that doesn’t mean every playground taunt merits its own academic discipline.