Lighting up in bars darkens lungs

The strife of the civil union referendum lies, merely, in its existence. While people are busy moaning and groaning about whom we’re going to “let” benefit from the title of “marriage,” more important issues are being completely ignored. I know, some may be thinking, “What on earth could be more important than butting our nose in where it shan’t belong?” (yes, “shan’t” is a common word on campus these days). But have no fear, my friends, I have a “butting” issue, as well. How can I further elucidate my message to you? Let me start with a little story.

‘Twas a pleasant, clear fall evening in the small town of Eau Claire, and a couple friends of friends were making their way along the populated streets to the nearest hot spot for a cold beverage of sort.

Laughing and chatting, they paused as they breathed in the fresh night’s air and then continued to mosey on down towards their destination. As they entered the room, they were hit with a sudden halt to their step. The fresh air they had been breathing had suddenly turned into a smoke-infested dark fog, apparently circulating as “breathing” air.

Politely, they said nothing at first, but as the night went on, it became more and more difficult to tolerate. The dark smog clogged their vision as their eyes began watering, and the incessant coughing could not be stopped. The two searched in need of a virtuous corner, but the lighting of cigarettes consumed the room and little space was left uncontaminated. Finally, they were forced to leave the “cancer cabin” as their night on the town had reached its end.

The reason I chose to share this story is not just for its literary excellence. Though I’m ecstatic to be serving as the source for your reading enjoyment, I must confess, I do have ulterior motives. Motives such as the fact that smoking in bars is not only inconsiderate but also a health concern, raising issues that can only be prevented if one virtually avoids the nightlife altogether.

No, this is no breaking news to you, but nonetheless it bears repeating. Smoking can lead not only to cancer but to heart disease and many other conditions, such as asthma. According to the American Lung Association, lung cancer can take up to 20 years to develop, but once discovered, only 15 percent will survive for just five years!
The lack of concern for public health – for public decency – is devastating.

Unfortunately, areas that have implemented bans on smoking, some in Minnesota and Wisconsin, have suffered backlash from bar owners griping about their finances. This shift in concentration from public health to money is ludicrous, and I can tell you I am more than sick and tired of this “woe is me” routine these guys have been staging. Any good business owner could adapt to such changes; therefore, I feel little sympathy for these greedy whiners. When I have to read about some poor fool who was forced to, not only get a second job in retail, but also (grab a Kleenex for this one) sell his baseball memorabilia, naturally I’m incapable of holding back my tears of grief. However, once I can fully regain my composure, I remember that (Shocker Alert!) positive feedback exists.

The Mayo Clinic wrote in June:
“Separate sections for smokers and non-smokers in restaurants, offices and other indoor areas aren’t enough. The only way to protect non-smokers from the dangerous mix of toxins and cancer-causing chemicals in secondhand smoke is to entirely eliminate smoking from indoor areas.”

Referring to a ban in California, columnist Laylan Connelly wrote, “if I were forced to take a side, I’d say that I would side with the ban. (I don’t) mind getting up and walking to a parking lot area or just waiting until I leave to puff one.”

There are many more examples like these and this may explain how on earth such bans are rendering success in entire states, such as California, or entire countries, such as Scotland. This could be a stretch, but I’m willing to put my money on the idea that the people of our community could survive without legalized smoking in bars.

I realize nicotine is very addictive and in no way am I trying to criticize or condemn smokers. I’m merely pointing out an inconvenient truth that smoking is harmful and obnoxious to many and a simple ban that protects those who chose not to smoke should not create such controversy.

This dribble that has been dramatized continues to overshadow the much more important underlying issue: public health.

If some guy needs to sell his precious Kirby Puckett bobblehead, call me selfish, but it seems worth it for my health.
This pertains to the health of smokers and non-smokers, customers and workers alike, and yet seemingly remains of little concern to our government, and thus, ourselves. We need to make sure, come next election, instead of worrying about other people’s affairs, we are worrying about our own. Sometimes, being selfish is good.