Spectator Editorial: FIRE door

A quote by humorist Dave Barry posted on a teaching assistant’s office door was no laughing matter to the Marquette University philosophy department chairman.

The quote stated, “As Americans we must always remember that we all have a common enemy, an enemy that is dangerous, powerful and relentless. I refer, of course, to the federal government.”

According to a story in the Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel, philosophy department chairman James South told the TA, and the four other graduate students sharing his office, that the quote was “patently offensive” and he had to take it down.

The TA then contacted the Foundation for Individual Rights in Education, which sent the university a letter of protest and later condemned the move in a public statement.

As FIRE president Greg Lukianoff said in the article, the term “patently offensive” usually refers, in obscenity law, to hardcore pornographic speech. Obscenity has no place in campus offices, but the quote in question does not fit that definition.

Marquette has the right to regulate door postings. But, according to the article, the university had no such policy.

As a general practice, professors in most disciplines should take it upon themselves not to flaunt their political beliefs on their doors or in class, as they have influence over their students.

This case, however, involves students, not professors. They are not in the same position of responsibility and thus have more freedom to express themselves politically.

If Marquette wants to argue that door postings are more of a workplace policy issue than a freedom of speech issue, they need to have a clear policy in place.

Ultimately, the quote on the door was a general statement about the fear of big government that resonates on some level with both major parties. Bearing in that in mind, along with the lack of existing policy, free speech should win out over regulation in this case.