Spectator Editorial: An ‘A’ for Plan B

Emergency contraception is not like cold medicine. When a woman needs it, she needs it right away, or its effectiveness will decline. And in Madison, women may soon face one less obstacle to getting it on time.

According to a report from WISC-TV in Madison, an alderman proposed an ordinance in the Common Council that would mandate that pharmacies not carrying Plan B, the “morning-after pill,” post a sign directing patients to where they can find it.

According to the National Institutes of Health, EC is most effective when taken less than 12 hours after intercourse, and its failure rate increases over time.

A pharmacist cited in the report said she thought the ordinance would be cumbersome.
But given the time-sensitive nature of the drug, it seems like a reasonable way to help women get medication as quickly as possible.

Under the ordinance, a pharmacist unwilling to dispense the drug would not be forced to do so. Their personal choice is not being violated. But Plan B is a legal, over-the-counter drug, and women have a right to the personal choice to take it – preferably, when it is still the most effective.

The article cited a survey by Pro-Choice Wisconsin that found that most pharmacies that don’t stock the drug choose not to because of lack of demand, not for moral reasons. For these pharmacies, posting a sign would be a basic service to their customers. Signs should also inform the public that hospitals dispense Plan B as well.

The proposed ordinance would not impede pharmacists’ beliefs or interfere with their choice, as a business decision, not to carry it. Mandating these signs would be a simple act that could help women get the contraception they need before it’s too late.