Non-traditional challenges

As a non-traditional student walking onto campus for the first time in 15 years, I wondered if I was ready for the life of a college student. I was 36 in the fall semester of 2004, questioning if I was doing the right thing by looking for a new career.

And I was concerned with my family’s ability to adjust. And most of all, where could I find spare hours to do the studying?

Because consistency and stability is important when raising children, sports, orchestra and band schedules left me questioning my own homework schedule and available study times.

Being the mother to seven children is stressful, and their activities occupy a lot of time. But I resolved to learn how to make this school thing work by handing the reins off to my husband and helped him by incorporating his organizational skills to aid in running the household.

I learned throughout the last three semesters that I am not the only one who is experiencing these conflicts of school and family.

“Around 13 percent to 15 percent of the total population of students at UW-Eau Claire (are) non-traditional students,” said Bonnie Isaacson, a financial aid counselor at Eau Claire.

This means 1,300 to 1,500 non-traditional students walk this campus. Non-traditional students experience the same problems and worries as traditional students, but their responsibilities include taking care of a family. They worry about daycare for the children, money for daycare services, transportation cost and the lack of flexibility. When their children are young, they pray for their children not to get sick, which would cause them to miss classes.

Let us not forget about the next semester schedule. How are we to fit the Service-Learning requirement in with 18 credits, children, relationships and work? Is there a miracle worker at Eau Claire that we can borrow?

As finals week approaches, non-traditional students need to be flexible and try to participate in study groups, but sometimes this is not feasible. Wondering where to study, how to get there and what to do with work and the children is one set of concerns.

But the other can be the conflict of ages within the group. Do we all get along despite our ages, are we considerate, and do we appreciate what the non-traditionals bring to discussion based on their work experience, knowledge or life stories?

Taking a step back to compare your schedule with those of others increases the awareness and the understanding of all students.

Now, as each child of mine prepares to do their homework, I find that they have adjusted by becoming creative – my husband is doing a wonderful job.

Through fitting homework into my time, the children still have the guidance and instruction they need, and I have the comfort in knowing I still am an involved parent.

And the children have now changed and grown by the experience. My older children contribute to helping more with household chores and caring for the younger children.

Now, I agree that this is working and I made the right choice. Some bumpy roads lead us to a greater appreciation for what each person contributes to this family.

Bertrand is a sophomore sociology major and a columnist for The Spectator.