What the $@#!

As society progresses, so do its vices, both large and small. When it comes to small ones, such as the widespread use of profanity and its effect on future generations, each person should monitor themself on some level out of common courtesy – but other people should understand that everyone is entitled to express themselves in whatever manner they see fit.

A recent Associated Press-Ipsos survey highlighted what appears to be an increasingly prominent trend in society: the use of profane language, with the survey’s primary example being the “F-word.”

Roughly three-fourths of people surveyed said they encounter profanity frequently or occasionally in public, with two-thirds saying they have noticed an increase in the last 20 years. The survey also showed that younger people admit to swearing more than older people and men more than women.

Most respondents, regardless of demographic, said they dislike people swearing “for no good reason,” and many of those who swear do view it as “wrong.”

The fact that swearing seems to be a widespread practice in society is no surprise. Television and other media expose society to increasingly graphic content on a regular basis.

While in some ways one could view profanity as insignificant, people should refrain from needlessly swearing in inappropriate settings or around children, who aren’t mature enough to make their own decisions about profanity. Another point to consider is that swearing is not an intelligent way to express oneself, though it may be entertaining and indicative of emotion.

In the end, people have a right to speak in whatever manner they wish, employing profane language at will. No person has the right to reprimand another for doing so. One could argue that the “shock value” of certain profanity will diminish as society becomes desensitized, reducing the appeal of profanity or possibly spawning new words.

But whatever its lasting effect on society, swearing is a personal choice.