Spectator editorial: Unjustified jabber

Because Student Senate is elected by the student body for the sole purpose of addressing student concerns, the officials who compose it have the best understanding of campus issues.

That’s why the Board of Regents and other state officials should be careful to review actions by Senate carefully before condemning them.

In a recent Leader-Telegram article, some regents, as well as Rep. Rob Kreibich, R-Eau Claire, criticized Senate for initiatives that will lead to an increase in student segregated fees. Those initiatives include the renovation of Davies Center and a plan to fund a supplement to professors’ salaries through student fees.

One has to question how state officials can criticize Senate for raising fees, when the Board of Regents and state Legislature are responsible for tuition hikes in recent years.

It’s easy to speak in favor of student interests, but for state officials to do so seems hypocritical in this case.

Additionally, any increase in student fees would be miniscule in comparison to said tuition hikes. The Davies renovation would result in an increase of $28.75 per semester until each student has paid $115, according to the Leader-Telegram article.

Senate’s proposals, whether wise or not, have been well-researched and influenced by constant student-opinion surveys. Though past referendums and online surveys have yielded mixed student opinion on the need for a Davies renovation, Senate is attempting to act in the interest of students. The same can be assumed for other initiatives that could raise fees.

Accordingly, it is unrealistic for larger governing bodies to believe they know what is best for students in comparison to a local body elected solely by students.
Senate enjoys a more intimate connection with students than any other level of government. Its beliefs on what is good for the student body should be reviewed respectfully.