Spectator editorial: Final answer

For the last few years, politicians and interest groups have debated gay marriage.
With progress seeming to have stagnated, it’s time for the public to voice its opinion and resolve the contentious social issue.

Tuesday the state Assembly voted to place a referendum on November’s gubernatorial ballot calling for a constitutional ban of gay marriage in the state of Wisconsin. The state Senate already approved the measure.

As Republicans pushed for the referendum, some Democrats said doing so would mobilize conservative voters and unfairly affect the election, according to an article in the Daily Cardinal.

Voting records show six Democrats crossed party lines and voted in favor of the measure.

Placing a referendum on the ballot would no doubt have some adverse effects, like framing the election under the issue of gay marriage and drawing the public’s attention away from other issues or from the candidates themselves.

In spite of some of the disadvantages, the issue of gay marriage has bounced around between politicians and interest groups for too long.

Democrats are wrong to call the initiative a political ploy when they would probably do the same if they had the political clout in the Legislature to do so.

Furthermore, their logic is flawed. One could argue that having the referendum on the ballot could encourage civic engagement across the board, compelling anyone who feels strongly about the issue to vote, regardless of their position.

Placing a referendum on the ballot will resolve what has become a moot issue and possibly inspire greater civic involvement.