Gov. Doyle’s time has come

It is an election year, and the gubernatorial race is already heating up. In the polls, Gov. Jim Doyle is trying to hang on to his political life. Scandals, financial mismanagement and imprudent policy decisions are plaguing his administration.

For those of you who do not know, the governor of Wisconsin wields one of the most powerful veto pens in the country. Not only can he veto bills sent to his desk by the legislature, he has the unique ability to line-item veto sentences and words from the state biennial budget. This means that the governor has a wide range of flexibility, and can transfer monies from one fund to another with the stroke of his pen.

Gov. Doyle has used his veto pen quite creatively, and in turn, has cast Wisconsin into a fiscal mess, with a real state deficit of $1.7 billion (GAAP).

Simultaneously, while claiming to be a friend of the UW System, Gov. Doyle has cut the System in the last two budgets, forcing students to pay a 55-percent increase in tuition during the last four years.

It is most unfortunate that he has supported massive tuition increases under his reign, and is putting college education out of reach for many Wisconsin families. He has the ability to shift money into the System – instead he has chosen to cut it. Most people know enough about Jim Doyle, so let me introduce you to two fine candidates who will run against each other in a primary this fall, before facing off with Gov. Doyle in the general election.

Congressman Mark Green is a current U.S. Representative from the 8th district of Wisconsin in Green Bay and is a former UW-Eau Claire Blugold.

He graduated in 1983 with a bachelor’s degree in political science and English, and was an All-American swimmer.

He then attended UW-Madison and earned his law degree. After graduating from law school, Green moved to Kenya to work as a teacher with the World Teach Program.

In 1997, he was inducted into the Blugold Hall of Fame. In 2003 he was nominated and received the Distinguished Alumni Award. Before becoming a member of Congress, Green was elected and served as a Wisconsin assemblyman in the state Legislature.

While a member of Congress for four terms, Green authored the renewal of the Violence Against Women Act, supported record levels of student loan funding and helped pass the largest federal tax cut in American history.

Scott Walker serves as the Milwaukee County Executive. In the 1980s, he attended Marquette University, and then left to work full-time for the American Red Cross.

In 1993, Walker won a special election in the State Assembly. After serving nine years in the Legislature, he left his seat to run for, and later was elected to the position of, Milwaukee County Executive.

He intelligently balanced the budget, and reformed county government. Like the governor, Walker oversees a budgetary process, has a cabinet and possesses a veto pen.

Gov. Doyle thinks he can get away with cutting the UW System because college students do not vote. He thinks he can rob medical assistance funds from our seniors and get away with it.

One thing is for certain – a change in the governor’s seat would be beneficial, and both Congressman Mark Green and Milwaukee County Executive Scott Walker would be a healthy option.

To be fair, I will state that Gov. Doyle does have a couple strengths that he will bring to the gubernatorial election this fall – incumbency and name recognition. His leadership style, ability and track record are not included.

Trying to tax and spend your way out of problems does not work. A governor has to make tough decisions, and Gov. Doyle has failed us.

Why should students care about the governor’s race this fall? The next time you write out your check for tuition, or can’t afford to for that matter, ask yourself if Gov. Doyle really has your interests in mind.