Genocide: facing the facts

Growing up in a country faced with political and economic pressures, American college students are inclined to follow in the footsteps of those who have shaped the world they have grown up in.ÿIt tends to be easier that way. We graduate from school, obtain high-paying desk jobs, settle down to have a family and buy a house and SUV that we really can’t afford.

So often we forget that as the youth of America, we have a responsibility to open our eyes wider than those who came before us. We are supposed to learn from their mistakes.ÿ As we come into our own, it is imperative that we create our own opinions and produce informed decisions without leaning solely on the world we have emerged from.

One of the issues that people often refuse to acknowledge in today’s world is the status of the United Statesÿand the life-threatening issues in developing nations.ÿOne of the foremost problems is the turmoil in the Darfur region of Sudan.

According to http://millionvoicesfordarfur.org, “government-supported troops have displaced 2.5 million people in the past two years, hundreds of thousands have died due to attacks, disease and starvation, and it is estimated that 500 men, women and children continue to die every day.”ÿ

But how often do we actually see these issues on the screens of our televisions after we get home from our highly priced college educations?ÿWe are quick to speak of the tragedy of the Holocaust but truly fail to recognize the horrific nature of the genocides that have taken, and are still taking, place in Africa. Learning about these problems in the world is just the first step, and taking action is the leap that most people don’t usually take.ÿAs American adults, it is important that we pay attention to the trouble in the world so that we can accurately address and reconcile these issues before they reach even greater magnitudes.ÿ

We may see scenes of war-torn African countries on the rare TV special, but do we ever sit down and actually connect the images with real events?ÿWhile the parents in our country worry about their child playing too many video games or becoming overweight, parents in these countries worry about their children staying alive and well fed.ÿ

Most of us, myself included, can’t even comprehend what life would be like in such a desperate environment.ÿ Although it is within the capacity of the United States to make a difference and help the people of struggling nations, many argue that we are already spread too thin to do anything for these nations. One has to question whether it will be too late to help by the time our nation’s monetary resources have “un-thinned”.

As clich‚ as it sounds to most people, one tiny voice has the ability to make an enormous change.ÿ As we grow older, we will eventually face the same problem of how to reach out to these nations.ÿIt is important that we extend that helping hand before the situation explodes, much like it did in the case of the Rwandan genocide in the 1990s.

There are numerous ways we can help these war-torn nations and change the seemingly negative view of the United States at the moment.ÿÿ People may make donations to UNICEF, join volunteer organizations that travel to countries and provide help to nations attempting to stand on their own feet or even begin their own organizations on campus.ÿAwareness is the key problem that we face, and unfortunately, the media does not always provide the perspective we need in order to fully grasp the problems facing the developing world.ÿ

I can’t help but hand it to stars such as Bono and Angelina Jolie.ÿ Although they may be celebrities, they have drawn an amazing amount of attention to these important issues.ÿ Not everyone can fly to these countries for a tour on the weekends, but they can stillÿdo a tremendous amount of workÿat the grassroots level.

I challenge everyone to deny their gas-guzzling SUVs and overpriced homes and take a real look at the world around them.ÿWe may be young, but the weight of the world is slowly shifting to our shoulders. It is up to us to decide how we want to carryÿit.

Lynum is senior creative writing major and a columnist for The Spectator.