Concealed carry is unnecesary

Growing up in Wisconsin, I have always been told of the differences between Wisconsin and Minnesota. Besides the duck, duck goose versus duck, duck, grey duck issue, I have never seen any huge differences. That changed for me on a trip to a Minnesota Twins game at the Metrodome in Minneapolis. Along the entire outside of the Dome there are signs that read: “No guns allowed on these premises.” While waiting to enter the building, there are announcements that say the Minnesota Twins do not allow guns in the Metrodome. My first reaction: no kidding.

However, my first reaction was wrong. Minnesota, unlike Wisconsin, allows for the carrying of concealed weapons. For years, Republicans and gun supporters have been trying to change that. On Thursday, they came one step closer. The state Senate voted 23-10 to override Gov. Jim Doyle’s veto of a law that would make carrying concealed weapons legal.

The next step is the Assembly. The Assembly needs a two-thirds majority, or 66 votes, to overturn the veto and put the bill into law. Republicans control the house, 60-19, but six Democrats voted against party lines before, giving the majority the 66 votes it needs to overturn the veto.

Under the bill, Wisconsin residents who pass firearms training and get a permit would be able to carry concealed guns, knives, billy clubs and electric shock weapons in most public places, except schools, taverns and police stations.

I, for one, hope the Assembly will vote differently from the Senate and stick with Doyle’s veto of the bill. It scares me to think of people walking around the streets with concealed weapons. I am not afraid of guns, but I am afraid of people with guns.

My reaction comes as a bit of a surprise to even myself. Being conservative on many political issues, I usually find myself siding with Republicans. However, on this issue I am a complete 180 from them. Growing up in rural northwest Wisconsin, I am no stranger to guns. In the area of the state I am from, one is probably as likely to find guns in a home as they are to find a satellite dish and television to watch the Packers.

I come from a family of hunters. As a child, when my grandpa was still alive, I can remember hunting season being a bigger deal in my dad’s family than some major holidays like Thanksgiving or Easter. So it’s not the guns and other weapons that scare me, it’s the not knowing who is carrying these weapons and why.

Part of the reason I am against the carrying of concealed weapons is I do not fully understand the need for it.

Arguments have been made that it is a person’s right to carry weapons to protect themselves. I don’t believe that we need to carry weapons to protect ourselves. Being smart and safe is the best protection from any harmful person or situation. If things escalate to a situation where weapons are needed, I feel that is the job of the police.
When it is the Assembly’s turn to vote on the issue, I will be paying attention.

I hope they vote to keep weapons where they belong – in the open.