Spectator editorial: Revealing records

Starting Wednesday, Wisconsin citizens gained access to one more critical piece of information regarding sex offenders who live in their neighborhoods – addresses.

The issue: Sex offenders’ home addresses now can be accessed through the Wisconsin Department of Corrections’ Web site. Previously, offenders’ addresses were intentionally obscured.

Since 2001, the state’s Department of Corrections has posted information, including photos, names and conviction records, about all Wisconsin sex offenders on the Web. However, until Wednesday, their location was intentionally limited to a general region identified with their zip code.

There are about 17,900 registered sex offenders in the state. Forty-nine states and the District of Columbia have online sex offender registries. Some states do not include offenders’ addresses.

But they should.

Wisconsin took a step in the right direction when it included addresses to sex offender profiles online. While there is the possibility of some negative consequences resulting from this release of information, it is most important for the public to have every bit of information possible.

Some have argued that releasing addresses may lead to attacks on former sex offenders or vigilantism.

Another possible consequence of releasing this information is that it might lead to lowered property values; few people will want to pay top dollar to live next door to a sex offender.

However, ultimately this is a tool that will help members of the public. People have a right to know if there are potentially dangerous people living nearby. Sex offenders lose their right to expect privacy when they commit these terrible crimes.

Additionally, one would hope visitors to the site will take time to recognize that there are many types of sexually-based offenses, ranging from statutory rape to first-degree sexual assault.

However, the best defense against sexual assault is staying on guard. Know where your children are. Stay in well-lit areas. The Web site is another tool for the public to use, but it’s a long way from being a safety net.