Spectator editorial: Loaded letters

Some parents of third grade students who attend Frank Allis Elementary School in Madison were surprised earlier this fall when an assignment came home instructing students to write letters calling for an end to the war in Iraq. Students were to send the letters to the media, elected officials, family and friends for 12 days. If the war carried on, the assignment would as well.

The issue
Third graders at Frank Allis Elementary School in Madison recently were given an assignment to write letters asking for an end to the war in Iraq.

News of the assignment quickly spread as some parents argued the assignment was unpatriotic. U.S. Rep. Mark Green, R-Wis., also commented on the assignment, saying it was blatantly political. Third- grade teachers at the school said the assignment was meant to teach civic awareness, practice writing skills and promote a universal ideal of peace. The assignment was rescinded last week.

While the teachers probably meant no harm in giving the assignment, it was far too lofty for 8- and 9-year-old students. However, the largest problem with the assignment is dictating the viewpoint students had to express in the letters.

Elementary school students should be exposed to a wide range of ideas and beliefs. However, educators should also realize that current events need to be fully explained and tempered for children’s level of understanding. A good example of this is the use of Weekly Readers, which give a condensed, light version of the week’s news. To expect that third-grade students fully understand the complexity of a situation like the war in Iraq is idealistic at best and dangerous to children’s well-being.

Furthermore, insisting that students of any age adhere to a stipulated ideology is frightening. Children should not more be required to call for an end to the war then to call for more support for the war. These opinions are personal, and should be respected as such.

A better option would have been an open-ended letter assignment, on an issue and opinion of the students’ choice.

The innocence children should possess shouldn’t be construed with ignorance. Kids are smart enough to speak out on their own.