Spectator editorial: Wrong rights

State Rep. Marlin Schneider, D-Grand Rapids, recently authored a bill calling for the State Legislature to approve a “student bill of rights” for students in the UW System. The bill comes in the form of 14 points, each of which are supposed to give students more influence at their schools.

The proposed points range from setting limits for the weights of textbooks to punishments for faculty advisers who give students bad advice that delays their graduation.

The issue
State Rep. Marlin Schneider, D-Grand Rapids, recently authored a “student bill of rights,” which is currently awaitingcommittee
consideration.

While it is important for students to have a greater say in their education, the proposed bill by Schneider is the wrong vehicle to get it. The absurdity of some of Schneider’s points and the antagonistic way he is trying to enact change in the System is troubling.

The language of the bill is loaded. What student doesn’t want rights?

Additionally, some of Schneider’s points, such as the weight restriction on textbooks, are far too trivial for the state Legislature to be concerning itself with.

Furthermore, this seems like yet another string of examples of bad blood between the System and the Legislature. If the members of the state Legislature really want to help students, they should put their money where their mouth is, and ante up when debating the next state budget. More money will give more opportunity for students.

Some sort of review of students’ rights is needed, however. In introducing his bill, Schneider has brought up some important points. For instance, a system of review should be set up for instructors that act as advisors. When they hold students’ futures in their hands, they shouldn’t get off scot-free for dispensing advice that delays graduation.

However, these points would be better reviewed within the System or on individual campuses.

Let’s deal with the problems in at our universities closer to home – not in Madison.