Spectator editorial: Risky business

City Council member Toby Biegel was arrested Sunday on a preliminary charge of third offense drunk driving. Biegel represents Eau Claire’s 3rd Ward, which includes UW-Eau Claire.

A Wisconsin State Patrol trooper pulled Biegel over in Chippewa County after another driver called 911 to report a pickup truck moving in and out of its lane. After he was stopped, Biegel refused to exit his truck. Eventually, the trooper used pepper spray. Biegel also refused to take a preliminary breath test. He later was taken to a hospital for a blood sample.

The issue
City Council member Toby Biegel, who represents UW-Eau Claire, was arrested Sunday on a preliminary charge of third-offense drunken driving.

The city councilman received two prior drunk driving convictions in 1990 and 1998.

Biegel has said he only had a few beers Sunday and that he is embarrassed by what happened.

He should be.

Biegel’s story has a number of holes in it, and his actions, regardless of the situation, are disappointing.

Public officials, because of the nature of their job, need to think twice about their actions. Clearly, Biegel didn’t do that.

Additionally, as the City Councilman representing the university, Biegel has a responsibility to take part in the ongoing discussion about alcohol use at Eau Claire. How can he possibly do that now that he’s proven he has a problem not only with alcohol, but also with controlling himself when he does drink?

Furthermore, this incident speaks volumes about Biegel’s character that he refused to cooperate with law enforcement. If he couldn’t use judgement in this situation, it will be difficult to trust his judgement when he’s representing us as an elected official.

It also is disheartening that this is possibly Beigel’s third offense. A mistake can be made once, but then you should learn your lesson.

The best thing that our elected officials can do is lead by example. Unfortunately, the example Biegel set Sunday is one he probably wouldn’t want to see his constituents following.