Spectator editorial: Card conundrum

After years of work by Student Senate and university administration, students now have the option of tying their Blugold ID card to a checking account with U.S. Bank.

The issue
UW-Eau Claire students have the option of tying a U.S. Bank checking account to their Blugold ID card.

Earlier this semester, students were issued new ID cards that could be activated to include U.S. Bank checking accounts. The new cards cost $30,000, a fee U.S. Bank paid for. Additionally, U.S. Bank will give the university a minimum of $15,000 a year for allowing it to provide financial services. As of last week, 116 students had signed up for U.S. Bank services.

Representatives from Student Senate, U.S. Bank and the university’s administration have said this measure was done in response to student requests. However, public outcry from students on this issue never has been evident.

Furthermore, the university’s contractual connection to a private financial company is disturbing. State-owned enterprises should be wary of mixing with private businesses – especially banks, which create more of a long-term connection to students than other companies such as those that provide meals or vending services.

As a business, U.S. Bank must have something to gain by essentially investing in UW-Eau Claire. The bank has bought the opportunity to hook potential customers early. Additionally, U.S. Bank stands to make money on overdraft charges attached to student checking accounts.

As college students, we have a responsibility to review all of our financial options. Choosing and managing a checking account on our own is a right of passage. When the university essentially endorses a bank, it somewhat takes this option away.

Some people have argued adding this option will create more ease for students. However, it’s just as easy to keep track of two cards as it is one.

The university wins through its kickback from U.S. Bank. The bank wins through fees it will collect from students. It seems the only people who don’t win are students.

The new checking account options on Blugold cards demonstrate little more than wasted time, effort and initiative.