Spectator editorial: Traditional party

Traditionally, students moving into apartments and houses near St. Cloud State University (Minn.) are welcomed back to campus with a giant neighborhood party.

And in the past, students were simply ticketed for their wild behavior, which included crimes such as public urination and property damage.

The issue
St. Cloud Police made arrests for alcohol violations during move-in weekend, rather than ticketing.

This year, St. Cloud Police broke tradition, arresting 124 students for alcohol-related crimes. The move to arrest students was made as a preventative measure, not a response to property damage or violence, said St. Cloud Police Chief Dennis Ballantine in a Sept. 8 article in the Minneapolis Star Tribune.

Taking a tough stand on minor offenses involving alcohol is not effective and likely only will result in more serious crimes or violence.

St. Cloud Police could learn a lesson from the Madison Police Department in its handling of major events such as the city’s Halloween celebration and the Mifflin Street Block Party. Taking a friendly approach almost always yields better outcomes.

According to the Star Tribune article, the university has fought an image as a party school for more than a decade. Arresting people for alcohol violations is not a cure. Drinking is a part of college culture; it’s not going to change.

Celebrations such as the move-in weekend parties are times when people reunite with friends, celebrate school spirit and yes, sometimes overindulge in alcohol and get a little rowdy.

At these traditional celebrations, officers’ time would be better served by focusing attention on keeping crowds safe. They should warn people committing minor infractions and arrest those committing serious crimes.

Resources, including time, money and manpower, would better be spent taking care of those who overindulge. In the long run, measures like counseling or free bus services will make a bigger impact than a night in jail.