Spectator Editorial: Music for all

The time between one’s 18th and 21st birthdays can be an awfully quiet. High school battles-of-the-bands and concerts are a thing of the past, and in many college towns, local bands only play in bars. There’s little an 18- , 19- or 20-year-old music enthusiast can do for fun on a Friday night.

This is the problem the Madison City Council solved in June when it enacted an ordinance allowing people at least 18 years old to go to licensed bars in which there is structured entertainment. Bars that allow underagers in to see shows must charge a cover.

The Issue
Underage music fans now can attend concerts at some Madison bars, thanks to a new city ordinance.

Madison has the right idea. With at least half of UW-Eau Claire’s student body being younger than 21, the Eau Claire City Council would be wise to follow suit.

While some bars may opt not to allow underagers into shows because they would lose money on alcohol sales, businesses should be given the option of holding these events.

Minneapolis bars have allowed underagers in to see shows where alcohol is being served for years with few problems. Many divide the building, so underagers are not allowed into an area where alcohol is served.

One of the only options available to underage Eau Claire students is to listen to bands at house parties. Going to a more controlled setting in a bar, which has security, would probably be safer. Also, underagers would not have to turn to illegal options such as fake IDs to see their favorite artists.

Many underage music fans are willing to pay to see bands, so the covers they are charged would help bar owners recoup lost liquor sales.

Sheltering teens and underagers won’t work. Furthermore, most of these young music fans understand what goes on in bars. If underagers are allowed into bars to see a band, they’ll likely respect the privilege and not try to drink illegally.

There’s a reason why large music festivals such as Summerfest in Milwaukee or the Vans Warped Tour are successful – everybody is invited.