Spectator Editorial – The final word

As the school year comes to an end, The Spectator decided to take a step back and explore the issues that shaped campus discussion this year, and those that will continue to stir debate in the future.

In doing so, the editorial board made a list of what we view to be the most important matters currently being debated on campus. While the list was long and varied, we chose our top-three selections based on their direct effect on students’ experiences at UW-Eau Claire.

Service-Learning, the allocation of student segregated fees and tuition topped our list, and undoubtedly will continue to be at the forefront of conversation next year, as none are easily resolved.

Service-Learning and, more specifically, the University Senate’s Tuesday vote to prohibit religious proselytization while allowing politically-partisan Service-Learning will continue to have an impact on students.

This decision is hypocritical because it allows for the sponsoring of one type of non-neutral service, while prohibiting another.

Furthermore, the University Senate’s decision will end this highly controversial and very public debate. Inevitably, the future of Eau Claire’s Service-Learning program will have to be decided by the courts, as neither side is likely to concede the issue.

Similarly, Student Senate’s contention over funding The Flip Side, then affiliated with the Progressive Student Association, and other non-neutral organizations will be litigious again next year.

However, as the composition of Student Senate has since changed, with seven current or former Flip Side affiliates as senators, the tone of debate regarding funding will also change.

The Spectator feels strongly that senators must refrain from voting on budget issues that directly present a conflict of interest. In addition, Student Senate in general must keep the student body’s interests in mind when making budget decisions. Anything else would not only harm the reputation of Student Senate, it would also have devastating effects on its constituency as a whole.

Finally, numerous plans for tuition control have been proposed by state and national legislators. And as Gov. Jim Doyle signs the final state budget in June, we must see an increase in financial aid to offset tuition increases.

While there is no simple solution to budget shortfalls, it is essential the UW System retain quality faculty and sustain services we, as students, rely on.

The men representing Eau Claire in the state Legislature cannot turn their backs on our university or the students within their electorate. And, as we have seen this year, the ability of students to mobilize for change will democratically ensure our voices are heard.