Spectator editorial – Food failure

The off-campus meal plan company OCMP, whose services will be available to UW-Eau Claire students next semester, markets itself as an alternative to the “typical” college diet of Ramen Noodles and peanut butter.

The company’s current participating restaurants in Eau Claire range from fast-food staples such as Taco John’s and Hardee’s to local favorites like Mogie’s Pub and Restaurant. Prices per meal, according to the company’s Web site, range from $6.33 per meal for 266 meals over the course of a semester (19 meals per week) to $6.84 for 35 meals per semester (2 or 3 meals per week).

However, this plan still ends up costing off-campus students more than shopping at grocery stores. And, students considering this service must also bear in mind the company is making money off students by selling these plans. For example, if one were to eat at Taco John’s, we doubt he or she would normally spend over $6.

In addition, much of the food offered is not necessarily healthy. While it is OK to eat these foods on occasion, 19 meals a week consisting of burgers and fries would eventually take its toll.

Because the target demographic for this company is students living off campus, these men and women should be able to budget their money and cook their own meals. This service only takes advantage of irresponsibility.

A good alternative to OCMP, which is not affiliated with the university, would be continuing to look into expanded use of Blugold cards to off-campus businesses. Grocery stores, for example, would allow students to add healthy variety to their diets.