Pelley’s Perspective

Chris Kemp

As the school year comes to its inevitable end, I thought en lieu of writing on my original topic, Social Security, I would enjoy reflecting on what this year has meant to me and some things I’ve learned by contributing my 2-cents this semester.

When I originally decided to write a weekly column, I had every intention to write on fun, light-hearted topics (referred to by some as “moronic fluff”). However, that quickly changed when I realized I much preferred writing on my interests (although, I can assure you, I am interested in things other than the First Amendment and Judicial filibusters).

I think it’s also important to point out right now that I never realized my run-on sentence problem until fellow Spectator staffer Gina Duwe pointed it out last week. However, by this time in the semester, the damage seems to already have been done; so thank you to everyone who reads my column nonetheless.

Regardless, this semester has provided me the opportunity to share my views and receive your input (sometimes-vehement criticism) regarding the topics I view as important for public discussion.

Far too often, and believe it or not I used to feel this way too, people shy from controversy and are content living apathetic lives.

Not only is there an evident unwillingness on our campus to get involved (just look at the 1,092 votes cast in this year’s Student Senate election), students also seem almost proud to admit they don’t know what’s going on.

In the business of journalism it’s especially disappointing to see students not taking the time to inform themselves of the issues that affect them on a daily basis.

It’s such a clich‚ that students pick up The Spectator, look at the police blotters and throw it away, but I’ve seen this happen regularly, and the feeling of disappointment never ceases.

As staffers at The Spectator, we continuously strive to engage our readers and make the news that directly affects you accessible and entertaining. This makes student involvement in The Spectator essential.

So often, we at The Spectator find ourselves using the same student sources over and over again, because those select students have chosen to engage themselves in university affairs.

They also tend to be the students (now) that represent you on Student Senate and make decisions that shape your time at UW-Eau Claire.

And, one must give credit to these individuals where credit is due. The Progressive Student Association has done a tremendous job of showing what can be accomplished when a group of students activate themselves for change.

Apart from potential infringements on democracy that may occur when a bloc of students run on the same platform with similar agendas, Students 4 Action has displayed unwavering dedication in promoting its goals for our university.

Now, with the addition of three new PSA-affiliated organizations on campus, the effects of this particular group will be even farther-reaching.

I’m not going to lie, I’ve had a great time sharing my “Perspective” with our readers this semester, even when my brilliance seems to be that of a “5-watt bulb.” And, I look forward to returning to Eau Claire for my “victory lap” next year.

Eau Claire has provided me and my peers so many opportunities to expand the scopes of our educations, but perhaps more importantly, we have learned a little about life from the city we temporarily call home.