Spectator Editorial: Plan B politics

An ad run by UW-Madison’s University Health Services in the school’s two student newspapers prompted one Republican lawmaker to draft a bill barring UHS and other UW System clinics from distributing emergency contraceptives, according to an article in the Wisconsin State Journal.

The ad ran before spring break with the purpose of advising female students to get prescriptions for Plan B, commonly referred to as the morning-after pill, prior to leaving on vacation.

According to Rep. Daniel LeMahieu, R-Oostburg, the advertisement, “promoted promiscuity.”

LeMahieu’s argument not only is incorrect, it also has the possibility of setting a dangerous precedent that could seriously hinder the availability of both emergency contraception and regular birth control, as the difference between the two is only in dosage and timing.

As for promiscuity, students will continue to have sex whether or not Plan B is available on campus, and this measure would only harm those students who are trying to be responsible about sex.

Furthermore, the drafted bill unfairly targets UW System students by prohibiting distribution of the morning-after pill only on state campuses which, in itself, is prejudiced.

While the ads placed by Madison’s UHS should have included a reminder for other forms of birth control in addition to Plan B, the advertisements themselves were not promoting wanton behavior. Rather, UHS should be applauded for providing to students information that promotes sexual responsibility.