Spectator editorial – Malicious mascot

In order to end racism and bigotry, adults must set good examples for youth. This is one concept the Osseo-Fairchild School District has chosen not to follow.

A dedication ceremony was held at the Osseo-Fairchild High School Saturday for the reinstating of the school’s Chieftain logo. The logo depicts Ho-Chunk Nation Indian Frank B. Thunder in a headdress.

A Chieftain logo had not been displayed since 1994, when the state rightly recommended mascots that carry American Indian names be dropped. Saturday’s ceremony saw about 15 protesters who spoke of the negative psychological impacts such racist logos can have, according to an article in the Leader-Telegram.

Although some claim the logo pays tribute to an actual historical American Indian, others have been outspoken about its disrespectful nature.

This is a problem that needs to be addressed not only by Osseo-Fairchild but by all schools and professional sports teams that carry an American Indian name.

While the logos themselves may not be meant as malicious, they are derogatory of a minority group. And, if it were any other minority, such mascots would not even be considered in the first place.

Instead of honoring American Indian history in a way that is easily seen as racist, the school should look at integrating Indian history into its curriculum.

Not only does the Chieftain logo have an unfairly adverse affect on American Indian students at Osseo-Fairchild, it casts a bad light on the town as a whole and should be removed.