Spectator editorial – Bratty Badgers

There comes a point when all practical options are exhausted, that drastic measures must be taken to enact necessary change. However, students in the UW System have thrown sensibility into the wind, instead opting to employ over-the-top tactics when arguing for unrealistic demands.

Such was the case when UW System President Kevin Reilly spoke with UW-Madison faculty and staff Wednesday.

A handful of students, who did not have tickets for the event, sat at a table near the front of the room and refused to move from the spot despite being offered seats farther away, according to a Wisconsin State Journal article.

Despite their unwillingness to compromise in the seating situation, Reilly answered the students’ questions during the lunch and stayed once the room cleared out to further speak with the students. Some of the students expressed frustration over Reilly’s unwillingness to march to the Capitol for lower tuition this Thursday.

Reilly, in his first year as UW System President, has been available to students and willing to listen to their concerns. However, if students such as these continue to unfairly blame Reilly for not adhering to their radical strategy, communication between the students and the system will only be more difficult in the future.

Furthermore, demands such as a hunger strike to gain a tuition freeze are not reasonable and do not necessarily reflect the popular opinion of the UW student body.

While it is commendable for students to be active and fight for lower tuition, those doing so must have the backing of their peers for change to occur. And the message will be better received by both the UW System and state legislators if a wide range of students work together in a reasonable way.