Stop segregating smokers

When you think of the word segregation, you think of African Americans who weren’t allowed to attend the same schools, eat in the same restaurants or even ride the same buses as caucasian Americans in the 1960s. But that was a long time ago, and segregation couldn’t possibly exist in today’s world.

Well, a different, lesser type of discrimination does. People who choose to smoke constantly are being segregated from the rest of society. Smoking isn’t allowed in campus buildings, restaurants or on buses. With the exception of bars, or other establishments that can prove smoking is a necessity to their business, there is a city-wide smoking ban in Eau Claire. Smokers can’t even enjoy a cigarette indoors.

Not only that, but the mentality non-smokers have is possibly the most damaging discrimination smokers have to deal with. Non-smokers have a superiority complex that makes them say and do stupid things to keep smokers as far away as possible.

For example, in an article in the Feb. 3 Spectator entitled “Smokers may have to pay,” junior Danielle Prosser said, “If they’re willing to keep up the habit, then they’ll have to pay tax on it.”

Well, we already pay taxes on our habit, why should we pay more? Why do I have to be responsible for paying your Medicaid expenses? I think it is absolutely ridiculous they feel the best solution is to punish smokers with everyone’s financial burden.

As for tobacco prevention programs, I can see two outcomes.

First, there will be no results. Remember the DARE program you were forced to participate in during your elementary and middle school days? Do you remember what you learned?

That’s right, all you learned about was what drugs you’d like to try. After completing the program, you got a nifty T-shirt.

The second outcome is continued smoker segregation and harassment.

The number of people who actually make comments to people who smoke is amazing. I have been approached several times by perfect strangers telling me, “You know, smoking is bad for you.”

I’m so glad these people who have never met me have such concern for my personal health, and that’s the response I usually give them.

I think it is absolutely ridiculous they feel the best solution is to punish smokers with everyone’s financial burden.

Living on Upper Campus is also difficult for smokers. The “no smoking within 25 feet of the dorms rule” is a great one (if you can sense my sarcasm). I can see how it is respectful during the months when the weather is nice and people have their windows open. But in the middle of winter, when it’s 40 below zero, or when it’s raining buckets, I have heard of and encountered RAs who have no compassion and tell smokers to stand 25 feet from the building.

Well, if I do that, I’ll be a popsicle before I can get my cigarette lit, and that’s really my whole purpose for venturing outdoors.

I’ve since compiled a list of things that shouldn’t be allowed within 25 feet of the residence halls, just to be courteous to the people living there. That’s the reason for the smoking ban, isn’t it?

1. Cell phone users. Even with my window closed, I usually can hear some freshman girl crying to her boyfriend about why she thinks he’s cheating on her with some person they went to high school with, and since he’s all the way in Madison, she can’t keep him away from all the girls down there.

2. Drunk kids. The screaming and yelling that goes on until early in the morning is not courteous to inhabitants who like to get to bed before 4 a.m.

3. Garbage trucks before 9 a.m. They also interrupt my sleep schedule, and since I was up until 4 a.m. listening to drunk kids, I really need the extra hours of sleep.

These are just a few excerpts from my extensive list of things that are more inconsiderate than people smoking.

I forgot to mention that smokers huts that have been proposed are on my list, too. If smoking is restricted to those little huts, you will be quite surprised by the places I will start smoking on campus.

Those are the worst kinds of segregation against smokers. They basically tell smokers, “You’re not worthy enough to share the same outdoors as us. Go into your hut, and kill yourself quietly.”

Get over yourselves, and stop telling smokers what to do. Smokers know what they’re doing and don’t need to be harassed.

Dakins is a junior print journalism major and photo editor of The Spectator.