Spectator editorial: A community divided

In the aftermath of the recent massacre that resulted in the shooting deaths of six Rice Lake hunters, instances of racism and prejudice toward Hmong residents are occurring in local communities affected by the incident.

The ethnicity of Chai Soua Vang, a Hmong immigrant, has become a repeatedly noted observation in media coverage of the tragedy because of the long-time struggle between Hmong and Caucasian hunters over hunting etiquette.

The issueHmong residents experiencing racial backlash in response to hunting massacre

Resultantly, some local Hmong residents undeservedly are shouldering the blame.

In Menomonie, for example, police have arrested a man for allegedly spray painting the word “killers” across the front of three mobile homes and a truck belonging to Hmong residents. Local leaders have said they are doing their best to squelch prejudiced attitudes and stereotypes that have arisen, but admit a small backlash has developed against the Hmong community.

Iver Cross, a retired Barron County sheriff’s deputy, said one popular joke he has heard many times is to “turn him loose on 20 acres and let the hunters wipe him out.”

No matter what the impending trial reveals about the case, the series of events that took place in the woods outside Rice Lake are unspeakably tragic. It’s no wonder why both the Hmong community and the hunting community are upset. They have every right to be. But allowing Vang to represent the entire Hmong community in the public mindset would be a grave mistake. But that very mindset already has taken roots in the minds of some of the area’s more bigoted residents and could quickly spread as the media exploits the racial and cultural differences that exist between the suspect and the victims.

As Vang’s trial progresses over the next few months, there is no doubt that all of Wisconsin, as well as the rest of the nation, will be watching.

In turn, let us consciously decide not to see this trial as a racial issue and use this horrible tragedy as an opportunity to show to the rest of the world the unifying qualities of Wisconsin.