Get informed, get involved

file photo

A simple solution exists that all students can use to better themselves. It may require a little work to obtain, but once you have it, so much more can be achieved.

I remember my experience before I obtained the one thing that helped me understand why things happen at UW-Eau Claire. That one things is – drum roll, please – information. I couldn’t tell you a thing about activities occurring on campus or that Chancellor Donald Mash held roundtable discussions. I was lost.

Students refuse to inform themselves on topics that ultimately involve them.

Then I joined The Spectator, and I realized just how vital information is. It’s everywhere, whether you read the Leader-Telegram, The Spectator, The Flip Side or the University News Bureau. Everyone has access to it, yet few know of its importance.

On Sept. 16, Chancellor Mash held a roundtable discussion about two key issues – tuition increases and community relations. As the meeting progressed, the only people Mash had in sight were Vice Chancellor Andy Soll, Student Senate President Chad Wade and two members of Mortar Board, the sponsoring organization.

The students were absent, the sole purpose of the event. When you have two issues as important as this, why wouldn’t students attend?

The answer ranges from a plethora of excuses, such as “I didn’t have time,” or “Who cares?” But as tuition increases and the Third Ward makes another pass at banning parking, those same students will most likely be the ones complaining.

If students would attend these events, solutions to these problems would be reached and the student stereotype of apathy would be broken.

Take another example that’s received numerous attention on campus and across the nation – voter turnout. After the 2000 Presidential Election, the value of the vote appeared more important. New Voters Project coordinator Ben Smith said the program has registered 3,200 people in the Eau Claire region, along with nearly 330,000 in six states. Nearly all of these people are within the 18-24 age bracket.

According to Sunday’s Rasmussen Reports Presidential Tracking Poll, President Bush holds a 47.4 to 45.8 percent lead over Sen. John Kerry. Do the math. These newly registered voters could be the difference in the election. See what a small portion of information can do on a larger scale?

Apply this to the university setting on almost any issue. If students did research on such topics as tuition and parking, their voices would undoubtedly be heard. And maybe, our legislators would see this change and respond accordingly.

Like I said earlier, I’ve been a student that never cared about anything on campus or in the City of Eau Claire. All of it was irrelevant to me until I walked into The Spectator office in October 2002 and asked to write. I have never looked back.

What I am saying is students should become active with the university on whatever scale they feel comfortable with.

Attend a Chancellors Roundtable discussion and make suggestions for the university to consider. Look at issues such as homecoming and realize that students on the homecoming committee proposed the parade route change to First Avenue. I can’t even say how many students I bumped into that expressed their dissatisfaction with the new route. These things can be changed, but students have to express it to the university, not vent about it with friends.

Make an appearance at a Student Senate meeting and see the process they go through with legislation. They are all students making changes to assist our university. They also deal with around 2.5 million dollars from student funds and divide it among various campus organizations. Some students may want to see how their money is spent.

To this day, it still surprises me that so many students refuse to inform themselves on topics that ultimately involve them, and then complain when it affects them.

If they took some time out of their busy schedules, they would see the same thing I see today: Students can make a difference at this university.

The choice, of course, is up to all of you. Choose wisely.