Gay marriage ban unconstitutional

As we get closer and closer to Nov. 2, heat is being put on politicians to take clear, concise stances on issues.ÿOne of the hot-button issues in this election, and in Wisconsin, is gay marriage.ÿCurrently, 11 states have proposals on the November ballot to add a ban on gay marriage to their state constitutions.ÿIf conservative lawmakers have their way, Wisconsin will vote on the issue in April.

No difference was found between children raised byheterosexual
parents and children raised by homosexual parents.

The issue unfortunately has split the country.ÿProponents of gay marriage argue homosexuals deserve equal rights under the law and denying them the right to marry is discriminatory.ÿThose who oppose gay marriage use the argument that homosexual couples can’t provide the optimum environment for raising children.ÿThey also say gay marriage should not be allowed because it’s against God and will destroy the sanctity of marriage.ÿAnother rather weak argument is that the purpose of marriage is to procreate.

However, there are many clear flaws in the arguments of opponents.ÿOne of the main arguments against gay marriage is that children should be raised by two heterosexual parents.ÿBut, according to a study by the American Psychological Association, which supports gay marriage, no difference was found between children raised by heterosexual parents and children raised by homosexual parents. In fact, the study says in some cases, homosexuals may have superior parenting skills.ÿThey say there is no scientific basis to conclude heterosexual parents are any better than homosexual parents.

Believing gay marriage will destroy the sanctity of the process is another belief held by many people.ÿWell, I have news for you:ÿ The sanctity of marriage already has been destroyed by the 50 percent divorce rate and by TV shows like “Who Wants to Marry My Dad?”

Homosexuals can be, and are, just as committed to relationships as heterosexual couples are.ÿThere’s no better example of this than the fact that they are willing and ready to fight for the right to be treated with equality.

Some argue that the purpose of marriage is to procreate.ÿThis argument – one of the weakest – is used frequently.ÿBut many impotent, heterosexual people easily can get married.ÿShould we also prohibit these people from getting married because they cannot create children?ÿAnd what about those who decide they don’t want to have children or those who are too old to have children?ÿShould they, too, be denied marriage?

The final argument opponents use is that homosexuality is against teachings of the Bible and therefore should not be allowed by our government.ÿHowever, this is contradictory to the U.S. Constitution that guarantees the separation of church and state.ÿThe exact wording is “Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion.”

By creating a law that bans gay marriage on the basis that it’s against teachings of the Bible, we are making a law respecting an establishment of religion.ÿIf allowing homosexuals to marry goes against God, and if God should be involved in all marriages, then we also should ban atheists from marrying.ÿAfter all, they do not believe in God, so why should they be allowed to get married?

Along these same lines is the argument that our country was based on Christian values such as the idea that murder is wrong. However, these are universal values that can be held by everyone, including those who don’t believe in God.ÿWhile the framers of the Constitution may have been Christians, they respected others who had different beliefs and acknowledged that those beliefs should be respected equally.

The fact is there’s no legal reason to deny homosexuals the right to marry.ÿThe only reasoning conservatives have for banning gay marriage is that it’s against their religion.ÿThus, they are imposing their religion on others.

There’s a chance a proposal to ban gay marriage and civil unions will be on Wisconsin’s ballot in April.ÿIf it is, I urge you to defeat it.ÿEven if you personally disagree with homosexuality and gay marriage, defeat this proposal so the separation of church and state will remain intact in the state of Wisconsin.