Come together, right now

With less than a month to go until the 2004 election, America essentially is confronted with a fork in the road of its existence. This fork, or more specifically, the decision we face in regards to who we elect to lead the country, cannot be denied or overlooked. We must confront the upcoming election and its consequences fully, for our inability to do so will indisputably have its repercussions.

It’s quite easy for us as average citizens to adopt an apathetic mentality. Very often we recognize that the inadequacies of our nation are so entrenched in our social structure that we feel hopeless to bring about change. The establishment, with its unequaled wealth and power, seems to laugh at the notion of us standing up to its injustices.

… A call to to recognize the opportunity we have as average citizens and, moreover, as students to change the direction of this country.

What we have to understand, though, is that there are times when we do have a chance to have our voices heard. It’s at those times we are all able to speak together, stand up for the ideals of the common person and oppose the often oppressive and ruthless methods of our corporate and governmental institutions.

Now, this column was not written to lecture you on those methods and their resulting injustices. Rather, it was written to serve as a call to recognize the opportunity we have as average citizens and, moreover, as students to change the direction of this country.

Because of the record number of students who have registered this year to vote and because of the nearly virtual tie that exists between the candidates (especially in the presidential race), it becomes an unavoidably apparent truth that we hold power like never before to bring about genuine change in this country.

There have not been many junctures in our nation’s history where such an opening has presented itself. We must not idly sit by and let it pass. This is our chance, if we choose, to change our country, to have our issues heard, and to step up and bring our generation to power.

The choice is clear. We must vote on the side of sustainability, on the side of the average person, on the side of the environment. We cannot endure another four years of corporate abuse, plutocratic dishonesty or wars for profit.

Our country can do better than it’s doing right now. We need to be leading the world in the fight against AIDS and HIV, human rights abuses, illiteracy and poverty. We need to stand up on the side of the poor and downtrodden. Our country cannot prosper when our politicians serve the drug companies, give tax breaks to those who don’t need them or lead us into wars using false justifications. All these things hurt the average American, as well as increase our tuition costs.

But we now have the chance to make a change, and we must not let it pass. The Progressive Student Association is initiating a nationwide student rally entitled, “Books not Bush.” It will occur simultaneously on campuses across the nation on Oct. 28 at 3 p.m. and will feature “get out the vote” activities, music and speakers.

We believe that with the election this close, we need to come together as students and show the nation our determination to make change. It will be only through our solidarity and resolve that we can bring about a brighter future, and we must do it.

Our own campus’s “Books not Bush” rally is already well underway. Thus far, U.S. Rep. Ron Kind, D-Wis., Matt Rothschild, editor of Progressive Magazine and Jeff Smith, 93rd District Assembly Candidate, are scheduled to speak. Other possible speakers include Dana Churness, Mike Miles, 7th congressional district Green Party candidate, John Stauber, author of Mad Cow U.S.A. and Will Williams. These speakers not only will outline failures of the current administration, but also will address issues ranging from the rise in tuition costs to the possibility of the draft being reinstated.

It is my hope that through cooperation and by coordinating the mobilization effort with many other campus organizations, we all can make “Books not Bush” the biggest rally in school history. If we succeed in this goal, as well as receive the media coverage deserved for an event this size, we as students will send a message to Eau Claire, to the Chippewa Valley and possibly to all of Wisconsin that we have the power to make change and are ready to do it. Because we are in a swing area of a swing state, our participation in this could even be the difference in the 2004 Presidential Election.

However, to make this event as significant as possible, your help is needed.

Any contribution to this possibly historic effort would be greatly appreciated.