12 reasons not to vote for Bush

Editors note: This is the first in a two-part series on Gagnelius’ views on Bush and Kerry.

The following are 12 reasons why George W. Bush should not serve another term as our president:

1. Sept. 11

The 9/11 Commission Report makes for gut-wrenching reading. The Bush administration and National Security Advisor Condolezza Rice really dropped the ball on this one. More than 20 reports of a planned al-Qaeda strike were received in the month leading up to the attacks, but the president spent most of that time at his ranch in Crawford, Texas. Also, many of the al-Qaeda hijackers were known to be within U.S. borders before Sept. 11, but nationwide manhunts were never ordered. The Bush administration contends that such manhunts would have probably been unsuccessful anyway. I say, tell that to the families of the victims.

2. War in Iraq

Since Bush declared the war to be over, there have been nearly 20,000 deaths in Iraq, including many U.S. servicemen and women and a recent spate of eight beheadings (three of whom were Americans). And let’s not forget the reasons for this war, as listed by President Bush: Saddam Hussein has weapons of mass destruction and had ties to Osama Bin Laden and his al-Qaeda network that were responsible for the attacks on Sept. 11. Both accusations have since been proven false.

3. The world hates the Bush family

Dad gets in a fight with a shifty-eyed foreigner and they battle to a draw. Ten years later, junior picks a fight with the same man, driving him into hiding in a spider hole. This isn’t reality television, folks; people are dying in Iraq. Now, the Bush family is reviled in the Middle East and considered bullies by most of the free world. The U.S. will be better able to hold peaceful discourse when the “cowboy” is out of the White House.

4. A shady past

Bush, a third-generation Ivy-Leaguer who comes from old Texas oil money, has a long list of failed business ventures. There are numerous reports of his cocaine use in the 70s, which he has never categorically denied. Then there was a drunken driving conviction in 1976, which he lied about for 20 years. Now there are reports of a past girlfriend’s abortion, though he is a staunch supporter of the pro-life movement. Is this the man you want representing us to the world?

5. Draft dodging

Bush’s stint in the Texas Air National Guard was lackluster if not wholly negligent. While his supporters try to besmirch John Kerry’s service in the Vietnam War, Bush has failed to explain his own spotty service record, including an illegal transfer to Alabama, skipping medical exams and the ending of his service 10 months early. His guard unit in Texas was sometimes referred to as the “Champagne Squadron” for the amount of millionaires’ sons and Dallas Cowboy football players on it. Bush’s supporters claim his family’s influence and money had nothing to do with it … right.

6. A suspect election

In 2000, Bush was voted president by the smallest margin in U.S. history with 271 electoral votes to 266 for Al Gore. (Gore actually received more than 500,000 more popular votes than Bush did). The central controversy surrounding the election was in Florida, where votes were tabulated incorrectly and wrong votes were cast due to the many confusing versions of the ballot. The U.S. Supreme Court finally ruled, in a 5-4 decision, not to allow a manual recount of those Florida votes. Is it merely coincidence that the governor of Florida is Jeb Bush, George’s brother?

7. Re-election tactics

The 2004 Bush-Cheney ticket could prove to be the most negative campaign in recent years. Most of Bush’s television spots focus on Kerry’s shortcomings in Congress, while the Swift Boat Veterans for Truth cast aspersions upon his military service. Are Republicans afraid to focus on the positives of their own candidate?

8. The economy

More than 900,000 jobs have been lost since Bush took office. His tax cuts haven’t worked, other than to assuage those in the highest tax brackets. His ban on overtime pay in certain job markets came in under the radar, and most people in the workforce have no idea whether it is affecting them or not. If that wasn’t enough, over 45 million Americans are without health insurance. The U.S. economy is floundering, and Bush thinks more tax cuts will magically fix its problems.

9. Stem cell research

Just prior to Sept. 11, Bush signed an executive order limiting research using embryonic stem cells, hampering efforts to find cures for afflictions such as AIDS, diabetes and Alzheimer’s disease. This is such an unpopular order that 58 senators and 206 congressional representatives have signed a letter asking Bush for an explanation of the ill-informed policy. Even Republican Senate Majority leader Bill Frist has said that the policy needs to be re-evaluated.

10. Gay marriage ban

The Bush administration proposed an amendment to the U.S. Constitution that would ban gay marriages. First of all, if you are against gay marriage, grow up. Secondly, whether you’re for it or against it, do we really need a sexual preference amendment? This could prove to be the most idiotic amendment since Prohibition. Even Vice President Dick Cheney, who has a lesbian daughter, has publicly voiced opposition to it.

11. The environment

Bush offended the world by withdrawing from the Kyoto treaty on global warming. He also reversed his campaign pledge to regulate industrial emissions of carbon dioxide and eased rules to help older plants and refineries expand without added pollution controls. It appears Bush wants the rest of the U.S. to look like Texas.

12. Manned Mars mission

Last January, Bush outlined a laughably expensive plan for a manned missions to the moon, followed by missions to the planet Mars. NASA’s recently-estimated cost for the first manned mission to Mars is 64 billion dollars. Hey, Georgie, can’t we find something better to spend that money on, like all of us people down here on planet Earth! If they do eventually send men to Mars, I vote that we send Bush.