Speaking for conservatives

There are things in life bigger than oneself. Pat Tillman knew this and gave up a $3.6-million NFL contract to join the Army Rangers. Spare a few people, most agree the man is a hero.

There’s something humbling about a guy who graduates college with a 3.84 GPA and who, rather than starting a lucrative pro-football career, decides to fight for his country. Tillman had a sense of dutyÿfew people observe.

News of Tillman’s death came just prior to the release of pictures depicting U.S. soldiers humiliating Iraqi POWs, an embarrassing incident that only gives insurgents more reason to despise us.

“If you don’t want to care about issues, that’s fine, but do me a favor and don’t vote if you’re making uneducated decisions.”

These two vastly different situations must remind us of something very important: Like any other population, the military is comprised of both decent and not-so-decent individuals.

When you put 150,000 people together, you’re bound to get a few miscreants, but don’t lose respect for the entire military because of a few jackasses.

I won’t sit here and beat the “patriotic drum” for the umpteenth time. Either you agree with me or you don’t.ÿ

There is a tendency to be repetitive in constantly defending conservative thought on campus, and it stems from the thoughtless repetitiveness of liberal mantras. I don’t think it’s pure irony that conservative voice is lacking at UW-Eau Claire … or at most college campuses, for that matter.ÿ

It doesn’t matter where you go. Liberals will always have a louder voice because that’s their nature. They attach themselves to a cause and replace rationalism with idealism, seeing utopian possibilities in a situation rather than realistic ones.

I know conservatives are out there; they’re just unwilling to assert themselves in a similar fashion.ÿ

But then again idealism and the fanaticism that accompanies it are what separate liberals from conservatives in the first place.ÿ

In the past four-and-a- half years, I don’t think I’ve ever written an apolitical article. I heard and saw too many things that outraged me, and I felt the only way to combat the forces of evil (read leftism) was to let people know not everyone is going to sit back and take it like many students do.

Granted, many are just sitting back and laughing at the antics of the left, and they don’t want to waste energy arguing with zombies. But there’s a huge percentage of the student body -and the entire population, for that matter – that just doesn’t care about issues. They think the following: Schoolÿisÿall too important, drinking and partying are too important, I don’t have time and who the hell cares about politics?

Well, I do and it’s too damn hard to care for the rest of you. If you don’t want to care about issues, that’s fine, but do me a favor and don’t vote if you’re making uneducated decisions.ÿ

In parting, I have a few recommendations. Don’t be afraid to speak up and defend your position, but strive to do so with honesty and in an intelligent manner. Put a little effort into backing up your arguments – something more than saying it’sÿtrue just because you believe it to be.ÿ

When it comes to political and cultural issues, everyone rightfully has an opinion, but I’ve found few who can articulate why they have the opinion they do.ÿ

Best of luck to all graduates, and I hope everyone has a great summer. If you’re bored, you can join me at the shooting range.