Springing to the university

Molly Tumanic

As I recently was thumbing through a neon yellow folder labeled College Stuff in green Sharpie ink, I came across the envelope once containing my admissions letter. The envelope read, “You’re on your way!” or something to that effect, and I realized how long ago reading that letter, calling my parents at work and dancing around my living room seemed (Yes, I do that, and I’ll admit it). It was a year ago.

This year, UW-Eau Claire has received about 7,000 applications for the 2,000 eligible slots. Obviously, not everyone can receive an admissions letter. Acknowledging this, the admissions department has launched Access: Eau Claire, a program guaranteeing students entrance in the spring semester rather than in the fall.

So next spring, flowers will bloom, baseball and soccer will commence, the sun will arrive … and so will 700 students who waited through the fall and part of winter to blossom into full-grown, full-time college students.

The way I see it, there are pros and cons to starting in the spring. A pro? Well, a student would escape walking to class in 40-below temperatures … you know, the time of year when upon reaching the lecture hall, one must look down to ensure they still have legs, because it is possible to literally freeze one’s butt off.

Another pro? Hmm … I’m at a loss.

Personally, I couldn’t imagine starting classes spring semester. I’ll admit when I read a news brief discussing Access: Eau Claire, a shocked reaction came out of my mouth and curiosity grew within me.

While preparing questions for an interview with Kris Anderson, interim admissions director of enrollment services and admissions, I found myself wondering how the university would accommodate students filling the holes caused by graduating seniors.

Students are anxious with anticipation, and being placed on the waiting list is a downright letdown. Cue the stormy weather.

Students are encouraged to take classes at other schools, but – and I don’t mean to rain on anyone’s parade – the transition alone of uprooting oneself from the comfort of his or her hometown can be … interesting. At times it’s a refreshing change, and let’s be honest, at times it wilts the attitude a bit.

I also wondered how students who had re-planted themselves would adjust in a mere matter of months. Is that enough time for a smooth transition?

I suppose, though, a student does grow after establishing roots on his or her floor. Spending umpteen hours with buds creates a sleepover-like environment that makes sleeping away from home seem routine.

And the atmosphere of that interview shed some light on my skepticism. Despite my doubts, after speaking with Anderson, I decided the university’s plan to offer a room and a desk to those students seeking admission is a good one.

Students set on studying in this millennium must be smart, standardized scores must be stellar and students must attain at GPA of at least 3.25 to receive that much-desired letter from a school now desiring the high-quality students who seemingly are sprouting like weeds nowadays in high schools.

I suppose, once again, obtaining and maintaining a 3.25 sounds simple, but basically that completely bumps B students out of the running. Students put the pedal to the metal for four years, join clubs to boost their resume, cram for quizzes and pull all-nighters to write papers.

During the home stretch of senior year, they wait for that one-page response that makes pouring over textbook pages seem worth it – essentially, it’s the fruit of their labors. Students are anxious with anticipation, and being placed on the waiting list is a downright let down. Cue the stormy weather.

By letting in these kids who should be recognized for even being neck-and-neck with exceptional students and being considered by admissions programs no doubt up to their eyeballs in applications, the university is acknowledging that everyone deserves a chance to dance in their living room.

They deserve the chance to commit to that cramming and paper-writing routine all over again, as well as the chance to leave old friends – to whom they’ll send snail mail, e-mails and instant messages – and meet friends they’ll be sad to leave come summer.

Students may learn by taking notes and tests, but the true lesson lies in the experience. Eau Claire is smart to offer the experience of all that college stuff to those who otherwise would be denied the honor of hiking the hill, eating cafeteria food, rooming in Towers and ultimately graduating with an Eau Claire education.

The university is definitely on its way to limiting the way the budget crisis affects its students by providing the green light for students wishing to grow.