Spectator editorial: Weighty issues

McDonald’s said Wednesday it would do away with Super Size french fries and soft drinks as part of a campaign to please health critics, according to a Reuters article.

The move seems to be a public relations maneuver, because people who want more fries simply will order two orders instead of super sizing them. If McDonald’s wants to be health-conscious, it would just close down entirely.

Americans need to take responsibility for their weight problems. There are McDonald’s all over the world, but Americans are still the most obese. More than half the population is overweight, according to the Reuters article.

The Issue:
In response to criticism from health advocates, McDonald’s will no longer offer Super Size fries and soda.

McDonald’s food certainly is not helping the situation, but it is not entirely to blame. The lawsuits last year by teenagers claiming McDonald’s was the cause of their obesity were ridiculous; no one is held at gunpoint and forced to eat fast food. If fast food is eaten in moderation, it should not cause a problem for anyone.

McDonald’s is attempting to bring about this moderation by controlling portion sizes, but it’s going to take more self-control on the part of Americans to stabilize the obesity problem.

McDonald’s is the icon of fast food and often targeted by health advocates. It is not, however, the only fattening food provider out there, and downsizing some of its menu items is not going to solve weight issues.

It may set a trend, and may have some affect on younger generations, but on the whole, it is not going to be a magic solution.

While it is a nice PR move for McDonald’s to take the initiative to make its menu as healthy as possible, it is up to individuals to take control of their eating habits and not depend on corporations to do it for them.