Spectator Editorial: Out of staters

A proposed pilot program that would cut tuition for children of alumni living in different states would benefit the university financially and educationally.

UW-Eau Claire, UW-La Crosse and UW-Oshkosh submitted proposals to the UW System Board of Regents that would cut tuition 25 percent for these students. The Regents’ business and finance committee discussed the “Legacy Scholars Program” at an Oct. 9 meeting.

The issue:
UW System considers pilot program to give tuition breaks to out-of-state children of alumni

The pilot program appears to be risk-free because, if implemented, it would encourage more money into Eau Claire.

The discount would not be compensated by increases in other students’ tuition costs, so there isn’t a foreseeable financial problem created by the discounts.

Out-of-state students already pay much more than people from Wisconsin or Minnesotans who get reciprocity tuition rates.

Tuition, not including fees, costs $13,546 a year for non-residents. The proposal would cut this cost to $10,160 a year. In comparison, Wisconsin and Minnesota residents pay $3,500 a year in tuition to attend Eau Claire.

If the discount does attract higher numbers, it will mean more money for the university.

A much-needed side effect would be the introduction of diversity into the university community. Most students are Minnesotans or Wisconsinites and represent few ideological and ethnic viewpoints.

Attracting students from other states, via the proposed discount, would improve the quality of learning at Eau Claire through diversity.

Alumni have a special connection to their alma mater, and a discount would show that the university wants to keep those alumni families a part of the UW System.