STAFF EDITORIAL: University wise to lower upper-division credit requirement

Halfway through spring semester the decision was made to cut the number of upper-level credits required for graduation. This is all well and good for all freshmen, sophomores and juniors, but what about the upper-classmen who are graduating and taking classes they no longer need? True, they are enriching their lives through a broader liberal arts education, but because of a restriction some are taking a class they were forced into because it was upper-division and not one that will benefit them in the future.

Aside from graduating seniors, underclassmen now have the opportunity to take a more equalized schedule. The mandatory 43 credits in upper-division classes was cut to 39, which is closer to one-third of all courses taken at the university.

The change appears to be common sense; 43 is not cleanly divisible by three, which is how many credits the majority of courses are.

The blanket waiver is a good idea. If this had not been implemented, everyone would have been scurrying to the Registrar’s office to change catalogue years.

The problem is that other changes to the degree audits have been proposed but were not applied at the same time as the upper-level course requirement change.

Instead of going through another process and stirring the pot, all changes should have been made at the same time. This change was proposed for August but was bumped up as the others should have been. If that was not possible, then this change should have been held off until all adjustments could be made.

The administration had the right idea, but it could have been a little more concise.