No greater cause

I would like to commend Professor Greider on a fabulous article in the editorial section of the Oct. 25th Spectator.ÿProfessor Greider’s article was so well written and thought out that I felt truly compelled to respond because I so firmly disagree with several of his points.

First and foremost, while I may disagree with many points brought up in the previously mentioned piece, I wholeheartedly agree with one.ÿNo one should feel threatened in holding a particular position regarding the current military actions of the United States and the greater War on Terrorism.ÿIt is through the clash of equally informed minds, holding vastly different opinions and perspectives, that truth will be discovered and the best future for America and the rest of the world will be achieved.ÿIn this, I have no doubt.

That said, I have heard time and time again the argument that “Well, the U.S. put the Taliban in power.”ÿIn fact, yes, we had a hand in putting them in the position they are in today.ÿHowever, it is inconceivable that we should expect the United States to have had the foresight to know of the atrocities that would be committed by this tyrannical regime while thoroughly engrossed in an indirect struggle with the massive, ideologically driven, nuclear force that was the Union of Soviet Socialist Republics.ÿWe’ve got to have priorities people and the Red Army was the obvious threat at the time.

Also, it is flat-out wrong to say that this is not a “good vs. evil” conflict or that this notion leads to some form of extremism. This is “good vs. evil,” this is “right vs. wrong,” and this nation, as well as the rest of the world, has resoundingly supported this notion.ÿ

For example, the Republic of Turkey has committed 2,000 troops to the War on Terrorism.ÿ2,000 men (and maybe women, I really don’t know) committed from a state that holds a 99.8 percent Muslim population.ÿ2,000 troops ready to fight and die along-side their coalition brethren, be them Muslim or not, because they believe as strongly as we do that our children should never know terrorism. The American led coalition is defending freedom and security for all people no matter their religious or ethnic background. The rational world knows this, and has, and will continue to, give its support.

On that same note, I have heard cries from numerous groups that it is American foreign policy that has driven Middle Eastern hatred for America. In fact, Saudi Prince Alwaleed was quoted as saying, in reference to the Sept. 11th attacks, “The U.S. should re-examine its policies in the Middle East.” I take great exception to this argument.ÿIn 1991, American men and women fought, bled and died to protect the people of Kuwait, Saudi Arabia, Israel and the numerous other forever-unknown targets of Saddam Hussein.ÿ

Our troops, while they were protecting the world’s oil interests, kept the completely religiously indifferent forces of Iraq from mauling the Muslim people and numerous holy sites of these lands, and this is what’s considered oppressive? We have been nothing short of a guardian angel to the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia and our other Middle Eastern allies, and they should respect the sacrifices of our people in the name of their liberty.ÿ

No one wants a war less than I do. We all would give anything to live in peace.ÿHowever, peace does not come cheap, and the retrieval of that peace has become our generation’s quest. We are engaged in a war that, in the words of Woody Guthrie is “A mighty big war that’s got to be won.”ÿGuthrie was speaking of World War II where a massive coalition of nations joined together to defeat the terror of the National Socialist regime.ÿ

That generation succeeded then and this generation simply must succeed now.ÿFrom the rise of the National Socialists to the nuclear capabilities of Pakistan and India, pacifists and supporters of appeasement have had their opportunity and have failed time and time again.ÿNow is the time to defend freedom and demand liberty, not just for Americans, but for all people. To quote Patrick Henry, “Give me liberty or give me death.”

There is no historical precedent here, nor is there any applicable law.ÿThere is simply a quest for a safe, secure and free world for all children from Kabul to New York, from Belfast to the Basque region, from the Sudan to the West Bank.ÿI refuse to wake up, years from now, and wonder if my daughter’s kindergarten milk supply is tainted with anthrax or if my wife’s office building is the next target of a highly funded, ideologically twisted organization of terror, and I think it has been made quite clear that the rest of the world will not stand for it either.

Therefore, we, as a generation of world citizens, cannot hide from our duty, no matter how painful the necessary sacrifices may be. Look, I’m afraid too, but we have been left with no choice but to fight and defeat terrorism on all levels so that our children, so that all children, will never have to face the fear we face right now.ÿI, in all honesty, can think of no greater cause for which to fight.