Addition of student regent a step in the right direction

In a perfect world student voices would be heard throughout the UW System – especially on the Board of Regents, one of the most important decision-making organizations when it comes to university issues in Wisconsin.

But this obviously isn’t a perfect world.

If a second student regent is added to the Board (the Wisconsin Senate, Universities, Housing and Government Operations Committee voted in favor of a bill calling for the change last week) it would obviously be a positive step to increase student representation. But it would still fall far short of what students deserve.

Under the proposed plan, one student will be chosen under the current standards, and that student must be at least 24 years old. A second student will be picked by the governor from recommendations by student governments. That student must be at least 18 years old.

We still haven’t figured out why one of just two student representatives need to be at least 24. True, the Board might want diverse student views, but why should they require one of the students to be so old? Such a small percent of UW-Eau Claire students are at least 24 years old.

And why can’t student regents – and more regents in general – reach the Board without needing the OK from the governor?

The governor appoints 14 of 17 regents, giving him too much power on a board that has far-reaching effects. More regent seats should be filled through elections or other means.

If a second student is added to the Board, there’s no reason students shouldn’t see that as a positive. But let’s not kid ourselves into thinking that student voices will automatically be heard.

That might only happen in a perfect world.