U.S.’s involvement in military strikes appropriate

When it comes to making decisions that will cause people to die, there is no such thing as a no-brainer.

But that doesn’t mean the United States’ participation in military strikes in Afghanistan aren’t merited.

After giving the Taliban plenty of time to turn over Osama bin Laden following the Sept. 11 attacks, the United States has participated in strategical attacks in Afghanistan.

It would be naive to think that no innocent civilians will die during the military strikes, but the attacks targeted buildings and places terrorists are known to operate. It is a grave misrepresentation of the truth when people say Afghanistan is simply being bombed into the stone age.

President Bush gave an ultimatum that the Taliban had a chance to act on. It did not act. And now Bush has committed U.S. forces to help lead attacks in what he has termed a “new kind of war.”

The attacks are calculated, justified moves that hopefully will result as a positive for peace-loving people all over the world.

Having said that, it is still acceptable for Americans to hold different opinions on the issue. Though some have said those against the attacks should just keep quiet simply to show support for the brave men and women currently fighting to keep freedom alive, that is not the case.

Muting free speech or telling people their views against the war are unacceptable is not appropriate. In some ways, what we are fighting for is our right as individuals to say what we want, when we want to.

After all, that is part of what this country was founded on.