Nanny disturbed by society’s actions

By now everyone has seen, at least a few times, “Babies Having Babies” on an Oprah, Jenny Jones or Geraldo-type show.

I have seen them over and over, and every time I felt the same – bored. I thought “hey, tough luck, girlie, you did this to yourself.”

Well, this summer I saw this from another perspective. I was a nanny for nearly newborn. My ignorance and lack of sympathy really slapped me in the face. True it is a tough job feeding, bathing and playing with an infant. However, I found the most challenging aspect to be how to deal with the selfish, inconsiderate citizens in the Eau Claire area.

The worst part about it was that the people of the community would not so much as even return a smile to me when I was with the baby. I am still appalled at the lack of respect people showed me because they thought he was my child. What frustrated me more than having to open doors with a newborn and stroller in tow was the fact that everyone assumed the worst.

I do not feel as if I look particularly young, at least not shockingly underage to be toting a baby. By the time our parents and grandparents were my age, the majority already had at least one child, and who is to judge when someone else should or should not have a baby?

Besides, these rude people, both young and old, merely assumed I was the mother. For all they knew he could have been my brother or my nephew or, heaven forbid, I was just the baby sitter. I do not necessarily condone having children at a young age or out of wedlock, but at the same time I would never be as cruel to a stranger struggling to open the door as these people were to me.

I hope the next time you see someone having a tough time juggling children and a shopping cart and a diaper bag, you will at least consider how tough the rest of their day must be. When they are at home packing up the car for 20 minutes to take that 10 minute trip to get diapers they don’t have any help.

Lend a hand next time – who is it going to hurt? Someday that could be you – even if you are just the nanny.