Rioting after major events uncalled for

Oh, the social injustice of it all.

The Arizona Wildcats lost to the Duke Blue Devils, 82-72, in the NCAA men’s basketball championship in Minneapolis April 2, proving even more need for the U.S. government to get involved in today’s sports to serve some justice.

The Wildcats lost the national championship after a long season of hard work, practice, games and other people doing the team’s homework. Why else would about 2,000 Arizona students run into the streets of Tucson, tear down street signs, crowd an intersection and set fire to a motor home and at least two other vehicles?

The poor kids’ school lost a championship. Is there no humanity?

It’s unbelievable that Tucson police used stun grenades, rubber bullets and tear gas on these freedom fighters. All the students were trying to do was what previous colleges such as Michigan State have done in the past when losing a big game – vent anger against the type of society that would allow such an event to occur.

It’s such an emotional moment when your team does win that I don’t know why the Duke students also weren’t flipping cars over. Wisconsin fans down in Madison also thought it’d be a good idea to “celebrate” the riot way when the Badgers basketball team advanced to the Final Four last year. Los Angeles Lakers fans also chose to live it up by rioting outside Staples Arena after the Lakers won the NBA championship last year.

Why don’t people realize these games create such a dramatic emotion in fans that they have to release all of the energy – good or bad?

A woman in Tucson told a reporter the whole Arizona incident was very stupid, sad and tragic and to think with all of the people in the world with real problems that these students did it all over a game.

Since when has winning not been everything in life, especially in sports? And, better yet, when hasn’t sports been everything to America? We eat, breathe, gamble, ruin marriages and pay $100 for nosebleed seats all in the name of sports.

I’ll tell you right now, if the Minnesota Timberwolves don’t make it into the NBA playoffs this year or if they lose another playoff series, I’ll be the first one out on the streets with a flamethrower and wheelbarrow full of bricks specially made for chucking through store windows.

Forget about the hungry and homeless throughout the world. Forget about President Bush allowing our planet’s environment to continually be polluted by all of his corporate executive buddies. Forget about those thousands of people who do not have a fraction of the freedom we enjoy in America. Forget a cure for AIDS, cancer or all those other diseases and ailments.

Focus on sports. It obviously does matter whether your team wins or loses, and if you’re a “real” fan, you’d riot and act like a complete neanderthal idiot to let everyone know just how loyal you are to your team.

Never before has the phrase “the thrill of victory and the agony of defeat” had a better, more violent meaning behind it. As Dick Vitale would say, “It’s anarchy in the U.S., baby!”