EDITORIAL: Puff Daddy paves way to success

It’s over.

Nobody will be hearing from rapper/producer/songwriter/song-stealer Puff Daddy anymore.

Mr. Daddy, real name Sean Combs, told MTV News he will no longer go by the moniker that the country, and world for that matter, have come to embrace. Nope, there won’t be any more references to the Puffinator or Pufftastic from now on.

As soon as Combs’ next CD is released, he’ll be known as P. Diddy.

It’s just about this time Mr. Sarcasm pops his head in and says, “That’s a much better name.”

But sarcastically or not, you’ve got to accept that your beloved Daddy is no more.

Combs, as many know by now, was acquitted earlier this month of bribery and weapons charges.

So, it’s safe to say his recent name change probably is weighed heavily in the public relations department of his Daddy Corporation.

When Combs first came on the field of musical greatness (admit it, he knows how to make money) everyone made fun of the ridiculousness of an artist by the name Puff Daddy. Seriously, what kind of a guy thinks that name will be successful? Apparently, Combs did and he made a gajillion zillion dollars (rounded to the nearest wabillion).

But people have grown tired of the aging moniker and Combs saw the need for a change and a fresh start.

Now everyone’s talking about P. Diddy. Pretty soon everyone will be asking who Puff Daddy was.

The next CD he releases will grab the attention of just about every late-night talk show and all sorts of media outlets throughout the country. (Ironically, it’s the same media that Combs trashed for not reporting the facts about his bribery and weapons allegations).

Does anyone else realize how ridiculous this whole thing is?

Prince, or the Artist of whatever the heck that guy is going by now, started all of this name-changing business a number of years ago.

He was joked about on all of the talk shows and became the subject of Thursday, Friday and Saturday night conversation among college students everywhere. But it got his name out there so much more.

That’s really what I hope to accomplish with my name change. From now on I request everyone to refer to me as T.P. Siddy.

If anyone wants my autograph you’d better get it now because as soon as this T.P. Siddy thing takes off, I’m out of here.

Sagging celebrities should consider changing their names more than anyone. It’s not that hard either.

Take Bob Saget, for example. Just think of the excitement that would be created if he was in a movie with the name of B. Siggy.

Again, does anyone else see how ridiculous this whole thing is?

So much time is spent choosing a name and discussing someone’s name or title that content is overlooked. I wonder if anyone will notice how much originality P. Diddy lacks, and compare it to that of a certain Puff Daddy guy.

Combs is hoping for a fresh start, but is just running away from his past hoping people will forget the scandal and controversy.

In his defense, Combs was acquitted, and that’s enough for me to move on. But for many, all it takes is an accusation to judge guilt. So, I suppose it’s a good time for the real P. Diddy to come out of his shell.

But it makes me wonder how serious he takes the whole business of making music.

How come Combs is allowed to make a fresh start and not ordinary people? Some people will spend months and years to try to pick up some steam and be successful.

All Combs has to do is change his name. But I suppose celebrities are held up high by all of us common folk, so they’re allowed to do such crazy things.

The world would be a lot better if everyone was allowed this privilege. So, I urge you to try changing your name to some ridiculous moniker and see how far you can go with it.

Who knows what could happen?