Summer in Eau Claire features numerous events

Hannah Angell

More stories from Hannah Angell

For those looking for something to do during the summer, check out some of the events going on in Eau Claire

Some+locals+enjoying+cool+nights+of+summer+2018+in+Phoenix+Park+for+Family+Night+in+the+Park.+

Some locals enjoying cool nights of summer 2018 in Phoenix Park for Family Night in the Park.

Photo by Volume One

Photo by Volume One

Photo by Volume One

Summer is approaching, Blugolds!

For those staying in Eau Claire for summer break, not knowing what to do with free time may be a challenge.

But, some of the highlights of summer in Eau Claire offer nights of film, music festivals and baseball at Carson Park to cheer on The Eau Claire Express baseball team.

Other highlights in Eau Claire include Chalkfest, Family Night in the Park, crafts and art nights, floating down the river, yoga in the park, trivia nights and open mics at The Plus.

Sponsored by L.E. Phillips Memorial Public Library, University Centers and Volume One comes the event, Summer Cinema.

According to the UW-Eau Claire website, Summer Cinema kicks off the summer with a showing of Wonder Woman. Other nights will include the superhero movies such as Iron Man, Justice League and Spider-man: Into the Spider-Verse.

Each night will feature a movie showing with free popcorn and yard games before the movie.

The yard games will include Jumbo Jenga, Giant Connect 4, Super Disc Slam and Jumbo Checkers.

Event planners advise bringing a blanket or chair and taking advantage of the free parking at the Davies Center and Hibbard parking lots.

Summer Cinema will be hosted on the Campus Mall, from Jun. 5 to Aug. 19.

For those looking to listen to diverse music and camp out under the stars, consider The Blue Ox Festival. A three day music festival with the chance to be a part of an environment with notable artists in one venue. According to their website, the three-day experience offers artisan food and beverage venders, space for RVs, reserved family and quiet camping.

Other music festivals in the Eau Claire area include Rock Fest, Country Jam and Country Fest. For more of a less-crowded scene, look for local performances on Thursday nights at Phoenix Park Downtown Eau Claire.

“I’ve been to the festival before and it was a blast,” Macey Carlson, a second-year English student, said.

The Blue Ox Festival will be hosted at Whispering Pines Campground. Tickets and camping passes are on sale now at their website.

The Blue Ox Music Festival is celebrating its fifth birthday in summer 2019, according to Volume One.

Carlson said the festival brings hundreds of people together for a weekend of bluegrass, country and many other unique types of music.

The lineup of performers include Bluegrass, Roots and Americana, according to the Blue Ox Music Festival.

“Many people camp on the grounds for the weekend,” Carlson said. “This’ll be my first year camping, it’s definitely a ‘can’t miss experience’ if you’re staying in Eau Claire for the summer.”

Another event during the summer is the nights out at Carson Park starting May 28 to Aug. 18, where attendees can enjoy hot dogs, baseball and fireworks, according to Volume One.

“See the field where Aaron Hanks once played, try some signature Eau Claire Express beer, Kurve, created by The Brewing Projekt and enjoy the night with some friends,” according to Volume One.

“Our family loves to go to the Express games,” Crystal Kaderman, an Eau Claire local, said.  “We also enjoy the entertainment between innings.”

For those looking to plan their summer, head to Volume One’s online calendar for a list of more summer activities.

Angell can be reached at [email protected]

Hannah Angell, Staff Writer

Hannah Angell is a third-year communications minor with an emphasis in advertising. She enjoys discussing conspiracy theories, thrift shopping and she appreciates good pasta.