Accidental 911 calls, traffic complaints, accidental alarm activation and a stuck elevator
Police+Blotter

Accidental 911 call

At approximately 8:02 p.m. on Saturday, Nov. 11, a police officer was dispatched to Davies Student Center to investigate a 911 call. 

The Communications Center advised that the call was coming from the center of the building as well as that they could hear screechy music and people laughing and cheering on the other end of the call.

The officer then called the number and received no response. Following that, the officer left a voicemail inquiring that they confirm that they were alright. The officer then traveled to Davies to check the area.

Upon arrival, the officer observed the Gatsby’s Gala event being held on the third floor of Davies. The officer observed a large number of people in attendance.

The officer then did a complete walk through of the event. After ensuring that there were no issues or unusual activity, the officer cleared the building and the call.

Traffic complaint 

At around 5:20 p.m. on Thursday, Nov. 9, an officer was dispatched to a traffic complaint in the Bridgman Lot. 

The Communications Center informed the officer that there were two individuals on motorcycles doing wheelies and “screwing around” in the parking lot.

The officer conducted a vehicle patrol through the parking lot and did not find the motorbikers. As a result, a vehicle patrol was conducted through Upper and Lower Campus. The bikers were not located.

Assist-fire accidental alarm activation

Around 6:30 p.m. on Wednesday, Nov. 8, a police officer was dispatched to a fire alarm at Sutherland Hall. 

When at the scene, the resident assistant informed the officer that an individual accidentally bumped into the fire alarm pull box, causing it to activate.

The officer confirmed that the pull box was activated. Fire personnel arrived on the scene and were escorted by the officer to the pull box. Both the pull box and fire panel were reset and residents were allowed to return to the building.

Stuck elevator

At approximately 10:43 a.m. on Nov. 13, an officer was dispatched to Karlgaard Towers in reference to stuck elevator car #6. Two officers responded to the scene.

Upon arrival, the officers observed no issue with cars #3 and #4 in Towers Hall North. In Towers Hall South, no issue was found in cars #1 and #2.

Afterward, the officers met with the Schindler elevator services mechanic who reported that they were a running scheduled test on the elevators and elevator phones that day. 

There was not a real emergency. The mechanic also stated elevator car #6 does not exist at that location. The location was then cleared.

Braun can be reached at [email protected].